Lost power to ignition and dash? 3.0 mercruiser

reallyfastboat

Recruit
I have a 1994 3.0 mercruiser in a 175 bayliner. Started with not having a tach in the console just a broken speedometer. So I decided to add one in place of the speedometer. Changed it worked great so decided to test the next day on the water and didn't work at all. So while the engine was running i checked under the dash to see if anything had came loose and touched two of the wires together on accident while trying to tighten the purple wire and had a small spark. The engine shut off and I lost power to the dash and the ignition. The tilt\trim, lights, bilge, radio, horn, blower everything works fine. Checked the starter also has power, so we checked the fuses under the dash and found a 20A blade fuse blown so changed it out still nothing. My buddie pulled it out and put it back in not sure if its in the right place. Also the 50Amp circuit breaker is corroded where it cannot be reset. Anybody know what my problem is.

Also checked at my local Mercruiser store for the 50A circuit breaker and it's $90 do I have to have that specific breaker or will any marine rated breaker work?

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Lost power to ignition and dash? 3.0 mercruiser

Get an ohm meter and check the breaker. I bet that is it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Instead of an ohm meter, get a voltmeter (DVM, VOM) and with the negative meter lead on the negative battery terminal check for voltage on both terminals of the circuit breaker and also check if you have a square fuse mounted on the battery terminal of the starter.

reallyfastboat

Recruit

Ok got it goin 20 amp fuse tht blew was in the wrong place. I couldnt find a square fuse though. I would like to change the 50amp circuit breaker is there a cheaper option. It tested out fine but is corroded to where it can't be reset.

thumpar

Admiral

It may reset if it was popped but with it working it will act like it won't reset. If you do find a cheaper option make sure it is marine rated.