90 hp Johnson won't trim down

BRvalley

Recruit
Hi, new to the forum and looks like I found the right place to ask questions, searching for an answer in the archives but hoping somebody can help me out faster

I have a 1997 90 Johnson, yesterday I was drifting with the sock out and came into some shallow water, sand bottom, I maybe have bounced bottom but not very hard at all, drifting at maybe 0.5 from a weed flat into sand

I started the motor and trimmed up, got out of the shallow water and it wouldn't trim down? I made the mistake of trimming full up, so now my motor is locked up at max trim

whether using the trim on the remote or on the port side of the outboard i can hear the pump running when I press trim up

when i press trim down it is dead silence, nothing is happening

I really don't think running into shallow sand damaged anything because I was drifting so slow....from some archived threads i've read so far I think it's an electrical issue, otherwise I would hear the solenoid clicking???

I'm far from a mechanic but can figure most stuff out, hoping somebody can point me in the right direction

it's a used 17' lund vhull, have the boat 6 months now, first issue, the owners manual didn't give an info on how to trouble shoot trim problems...the boat is used 50/50 fresh and salt water

thanks for any advice.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90 hp Johnson won't trim down

Find the t/t relay box on it and swap the relays and see what happens.