Can you help a new guy find the perfect boat?

rf53

Recruit
Hello,

Yes, yet another new guy to boating looking for advise. First, I want you to know that me and my family plan to enter boating safely. I say that because from what I have seen in South Florida, safety and boating are somewhat casual acquaintances from time to time. Before buying a boat, I have familiarized myself with Federal and State laws, obtained my Florida Boating Safety Education ID (even though by age I am exempt), and me and my son are looking into courses at the local Coast Guard Auxiliary. Now enough with my cheesy soap box rant about safety...

I am looking for advise on identifying a good used first boat for a family of four who like to fish, and will also use the boat for other recreational purposes. From time to time there may be as many as 6 or 7 on board, but not very often.

We are in Ft. Lauderdale and we will use the boat mainly in the waters off Broward and Dade Counties. I do plan to go to the Keys from time to time, but I don't plan to spend much time in the flats, mainly in-shore / near shore stuff. We like fishing for Snapper and such in 30 to 70 ft. We don't plan to venture out very far, but we are looking for more than a bay boat. We want to go out just far enough to reach some fishing spots and feel solid. My wife definitely wants a boat that will feel stable under us. My son and I want to fish, my daughter wants to tan and go tubing. I would hate to limit myself, but I get that there are trade-offs. How does an all purpose, good handling CC sound?

Here are some of the specs I would like:

Used
Center Console
4 stroke engine
Horse shoe seating, bow
Good bow flare (dry ride)
18 deg transom deadrise (approx)
T-Top
Length: 20' to 22'
Easy to trailer
Easy for a rookie to operate
Budget: High teens to low 20's

I really appreciate the help. If possible, please state make, model, year, engine, and reason you think that boat would be right for us. Also, I am not glued to the above specs, they are simply what I have come up with based on researching boats and local price points (South Florida). If anyone sees something not right based on my intended use and (in)experience, I welcome comments. Thanks! This is a great resource. I look forward to hearing from you and to contributing in the future.

Thales14

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Can you help a new guy find the perfect boat?

You'll get good advice here from many knowledgable people.
I just bought our first boat using many good tips found here.
I'll leave the suggestions to others, but the reference to 60 - 70 foot depths amazes me.
Here, our coastline is such that it's between 3 -10 foot depths for about 10 miles out from the beach.
Makes having a depth finder essential.

rf53

Recruit

You'll get good advice here from many knowledgable people.
I just bought our first boat using many good tips found here.
I'll leave the suggestions to others, but the reference to 60 - 70 foot depths amazes me.
Here, our coastline is such that it's between 3 -10 foot depths for about 10 miles out from the beach.
Makes having a depth finder essential.

Thanks, I look forward to the replies on a good boat for us. Here off Key Biscayne for example, the water depth stays at 8 - 12 feet deep for over one mile offshore, moving slowly deeper to 30 feet, 45 feet, 60 feet, and 100 ft. At around 5 miles offshore, the water quickly deepens to 300 feet, 600 feet, and well over 1,000 feet deep.

Here is a link to some of the nautical charts:

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/AtlanticCoastViewerTable.shtml

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

What worked the best for me was a SeaSwirl deep v cuddy cabin but that's because I use it in the ocean as well as lakes. Didn't want an open bow as.. well you can imagine taking a wave over the front and all that water coming in makes for a bad day at sea. Also, I have a fresh water cooler because I run in salt water I didn't want it going through my motor. Also, with the fresh water cooler I have a heat exchanger, so I have cabin heat when crabbing on cold winter pacific ocean days.

If you have kids that will be on the boat you may want something with high gunwale like a deep V. (high profile) Low profile boats ride lower in the water, and when docking makes for smashing points on fingers, hands and legs. (kids always dangle arms over the sides).

Also, with a cuddy cabin comes a potty (well most cuddy's anyway).. and making the women folk happy you need to have one of those close by.. other wise you spend a lot of time going back to the docks as needed.

rf53

Recruit

What worked the best for me was a SeaSwirl deep v cuddy cabin but that's because I use it in the ocean as well as lakes. Didn't want an open bow as.. well you can imagine taking a wave over the front and all that water coming in makes for a bad day at sea. Also, I have a fresh water cooler because I run in salt water I didn't want it going through my motor. Also, with the fresh water cooler I have a heat exchanger, so I have cabin heat when crabbing on cold winter pacific ocean days.

If you have kids that will be on the boat you may want something with high gunwale like a deep V. (high profile) Low profile boats ride lower in the water, and when docking makes for smashing points on fingers, hands and legs. (kids always dangle arms over the sides).

Also, with a cuddy cabin comes a potty (well most cuddy's anyway).. and making the women folk happy you need to have one of those close by.. other wise you spend a lot of time going back to the docks as needed.

Nice boat. Since fishing will be the main use for me, however (60/40 or so), I'm not sure a cabin style will fit the bill. I was thinking more along the lines of a Sea Hunt Triton 207 or 232, or a Key West 2020, or 2300 for fishing in-shore and near shore in South Florida. Any suggestions along the lines of these boats at the price point I mentioned in the original post would be appreciated.

Again, although I am always open to opinions and suggestions,I believe unless I am way off that an open style with a T-top is what I need for fishing most of the time and some other water sports some of the time. What I would like to accomplish here is to initiate a discussion about which used boat (make, model, and year) in this open style fits my specs and my budget (see original post). Thanks!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have a 2003 sea hunt triton 212 (21') with a 150 Yam 2 stroke and couldn't be happier. A friend has a sea pro 21' with a 150 and same deal. They are both mid-range in price and quality, and there are many others like them. Mine gives a right dry ride especially going into the wind. I've run it in 20 mph winds and know it could safely handle more but I wouldn't choose to. Just like the saying about ugly girls, I've never gone out on an ugly day but I've sure come home in a few.

I have a bimini, was thinking about adding a T top but like the bimini b/c I take it off in the winter and I fish around some low bridges. But it does get in the way some fishing; just a trade off.

I'm also a big fan of the Carolina Skiff. You get a lot of boat with them.

I would not get a cabin. maximize open space. Out in the open water, you don't need an enclosed head. You just need women who can figure these things out.

My wife and I enjoy fishing and cruising; it's an easy boat solo; my daughters take it out tubing, sunning, etc. I keep it in the water, but it's not bad to trailer. I have a roller trailer and it rolls right off and on.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was just like you. When I purchased my 620 Ranger, I wanted an open bow. After getting caught in almost 10 foot waves...not a storm mind you, just 25-45 knot winds. I got back to shore soak and wet. I was fishing, not swimming, so I didn't want to get soaked......I got soaked. It all depends on what you're going to be doing and where you boat. Get a nice bay boat with an open bow if you're in more protected waters. If you ever go out where the potential for huge waves is possible, take the closed bow, you won't regret it. I think you're spot on in the length you're looking at though. Have fun finding one!:) -Joe

rf53

Recruit

I am glad to hear you like your Triton. It is right at the top of my list, maybe the 207. Let me ask you a couple of questions. 1) I have had many tell me that I should spend the extra money to get a 4 stroke engine because it runs quieter, and it is more fuel efficient, among other things. What are your thoughts? 2) What does your 212 weigh on the trailer with a loaded fuel tank? My tow vehicle is rated at 5000 lbs and I think the 212 (dry weight 2150) might be at the edge of that. The 207 has a dry weight of 2050, and at just 1ft less may be easier to tow, and to operate. Since I want my son to help with these things it may be a better choice. Thoughts?

I am looking for advise on identifying a good used first boat
That's probably the best thing that you could have said. No matter how many classes that you take, you're going to make mistakes and you will damage that boat. Either while driving, while maintaining, or while just plain owning the boat. I can't offer any advice about the specific boat, but be sure that you don't take that thing out into the big ocean (out of the bays) until you've taken one or two storms in semi-protected waters. That experience, while not much, could still be the difference between life and death

rf53

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. With 8,814 posts to your credit since 2008 you've got to have more to offer than that. I would really appreciate tapping into your knowledge. The reason I came to this DB is to get ground truth advise from those that have owned many boats over the years. While I know there is no perfect boat, what I am looking for is detailed opinions of what I should be looking into, and what I should be watching out for, as I venture out to buy my first boat.

In the original post I described what I am looking for. What I would like to get from you guys is actual make, model, year, and engine suggestions. So far, I have done quite a bit of research on my own, and with some help from the good people on these DB's. I have some initial ideas about what boat(s) would be suitable for my family. The Sea Hunt Triton 207 seems to be at the top of the list. What I am looking for is affirmations that I am going in the right direction, or a reality check that I am not. If someone has had a bad experience with that boat, I want them to tell me so. If they feel it is poorly built I want to hear that too. If someone thinks the Key West 2020 would be a better choice, I want them to tell me that as well. I want to hear why a 4 stroke engine would be better than a 2 stroke and worth the extra money (or not). I want to hear candid opinions about boat manufacturers and engine issues. If you guys can give me that, I would take away invaluable advise based on your collective knowledge , and all the readers in my same position that come after me will be able to do the same. Thanks again for all the help... and please keep sharing.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sounds to me that you're right on track. If your tow vehicle can handle it, get a boat 2' longer than you think you want. That's the biggest thing. It's not easy to stretch a boat.
I do like the Sea Hunt CC bow seating with the add-on or pop-up head rests. Sea Hunts seem to have the most usefull design layouts for actually using the boat.

A 23' Sea Hunt CC is my next perfect boat.

Keep poking Home Cookin' for advice. He knows Sea Hunt and the kind of boat you want.

I've got a 21' SeaSwirl DC2100, and it's considered more of a bay boat (I'm a shallow boater). It has a shallow draft, but the trade off is that you get a more bumpy, wet ride into the wind in a chop. Unless you poke around in the shallows, you are correct to look for more of a deeper V than a bay boat.

This won't help at all, but I've never heard anyone complain about either Sea Hunt or Key West.

And I'm sure you know this, but trolling folks prefer the 4 stroke, to be able to troll slower.

I personally would rather have a fuel injected 2 stroke. To me they seem more bullet proof, easier to work on, and lighter. Yes, they are louder, but at WOT with the wind blowing in your face, you're not likely to be concerned about motor noise drowning out your conversations anyway.