Question Ground Green Wires? Nasty One Here!

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1986 Bayliner with a 5.7 Chevy V8, volvo Penta. The outdrive lift UP/DOWN all of a sudden quit working. Just got a click when I tried to put it up or down. I noticed on the bottom of the Electirc Gear black box there were 2 green wires from the base of this unit (connected to a small allen bolt) these two were connected to a big bolt that looks like it goes directly to the outdrive. One of the wires has broken off then I touched the other one and it came off. What do these two wires do? I can't get the big bolt off due to rust. I don't want to break it and then get into more trouble. Can I run two new green wires (attach to Allen Bolt at base) to the ground on one of my batteries. Or do these green ground wires need to attach to that big bolt connecting to the outdrive bolt. Why is there two wores going to the same place? It looks like these two green wires are just ground to ground. Should'nt I just need one ground. Now I'm not getting any power to the ignition. Can these two little green wores case all this trouble. I'm at a loss. Any help would be great!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Question Ground Green Wires? Nasty One Here!

Those aren't grounds, they are continuity wires. They have nothing to do with the wiring for the tilt.<br />Can I assume you have a 270, 275, or 280 outdrive without trim and has the electro mechanical lift?<br />Like this.<br /><br />
Mechanical%20Lift.png

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice

Yes that is it! Thanks! I hooked up both of those continuity wires to a ground and now everything works. Amazing how just one little wire can kill everything. Thanks for the picture I'll print it out to have for referene in the future.

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Don! Thanks for the Pic of the Outdrive Tilt configuration. I grounded both of those continuity wires and I keep blowing the 20 amp, 32V fuse (item 41 on that scematic). Do you know what might be blowing that fuse? I can't figure it out, all my conncetions seem to be solid. Is there a relay in that black box that might be doing something? Any help would be great!

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice

Could the actual electric Motor Figure #2 be bad? If it were could it be causing the Fuse to blow? I talked to a local mechanic he said it can be rebuilt and that might be the cause.

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice

Ok just talked to another Marine Mechanic and they said try using a 50 Amp fuse. Also check to see if the wires are getting hot. If so I have a short somewhere? Jeez how would I find a Short? HELP!!!!!

I popped the 20 amp fuse on mine for no apparent reason and replaced it with a 30A. Been working fine since. Jumping to a 50Amp is too big IMHO.<br /><br />There are 2 relays inside the black box.<br /><br />You need a wiring diagram and test light to check out whats going on there.

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice

Ok thanks Dave. Wonder if the relays could cause the fuse to blow. HUmm. The black box seams to be able to swivil around I try and tighten the bolts on top but they just keep spinning. The little screws on the corrner are rusted so I'm not able to open up the black box. I'll get there some how, try and just unscrew them with some nedle nose channel locks hopfully I can get them off and take a peek at whats under this black box.