Need help with shifting problems

bastosdesign

Cadet
Okay..<br />For a brief overview, I have a 1989 Renken 2000 Cuddy Cabin.<br />I have only taken the boat out about 4 times, but I have a consistant problem. I have no idea how to track it down.<br />When the boat is cool (just started up), everything is perfect.<br />When it gets warm, or after running for a good 30 mins, it has trouble shifting in and out of drive.<br />The best way I can explain it, is a car with a transmission slipping. <br />Basically you put it in gear, and it remains in nuetral till you kind of rev it up a bit, and it will slam into gear.<br />Someone please help me and show me where to start..<br />I havea 4.3 I/O Mercruiser . <br />Thanks in advance!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need help with shifting problems

I'd be looking at the shifter and the cables from the shifter to the engine.<br />I would think if it was a lower shift cable binding that the engine would die because the shift interrupt system would be activated. <br />COuld also be a problem in the drive itself. Have you checked the gear lube?

bastosdesign

Cadet

Gear lube....<br />HRMMMM....<br />lol<br />Maybe I will check there.... If I can figure out how. haha

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it doesn't do it going into reverse,it sounds like the lower shift cable is out of adjustment

bastosdesign

Cadet

It is actually any gear.. I dont think it is the shifter, or a cable... its wierd... it feels just like a slipping tranny in a car...<br />Gear lube has my interest... where do I check that?

Don S

Assuming you have an Alpha drive, remove the upper vent plug, then remove the lower plug and drain the oil. See if there is metal on the magnet on the drain plug.<br /><br />Here is a link to the Merc service manual for your drive (If it's the Alpha drive)<br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the lower unit (gen. one,alpha one, I trust)clean or corroded?

bastosdesign

Cadet

I am sorry to sound so dumb, but I am new to boat maintenance. I have no idea what the outdrive is on my boat..<br />I can take some pictures tonight and post them here..

Don S

I am sorry to sound so dumb, but I am new to boat maintenance. I have no idea what the outdrive is on my boat..
Then you REALLY need to look at that link to the service manual I gave you BEFORE you start messing with it.<br /><br />Here is another link that may help.<br /> http://www.mercstuff.com/howdoi.htm

bastosdesign

Cadet

Okay guys... HELP!! I checked the gear oil in the outdrive, and no difference. <br />I am at a loss what to do.. this does not feel like a shifter cable...<br />Any other ideas?

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer

Don S, I noticed in Basto's first thread, he said that everything works fine when the engine is cool. Is there any possibility that as the engine warms up, parts on the engine expand to the point that it would change the way the shift cable reacts? Mabey he should make his cable adjustments when the engine is fully warmed up?<br /> Its just a thought.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

maybee he should find a good mechanic? wouldnt want to make problems worse?

bastosdesign

Cadet

Mark,<br />I thought the same thing as well....<br />I also thought maybe I was overheating, but this thing runs very cool.

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a cable adjustment to me.... Had a similiar problem before. Changed and adjusted the cables, and that was it.

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could be a binding shift shaft where it goes from the shift cable slide ,through the bell housing to the lower unit .(where it goes through the exhaust passage the upper bushing can leak and bind a warm shaft and corrode the cable end)

fendersfender

Petty Officer 1st Class

whatever you do, fix the problem....reving motor to get gears to engage will surely tear up your outdrive. Get a manual or a mechanic.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I bet it is more than a cable out of adjustment. Sounds like a cable where the cable housing has seperated and/or the cable is fraying.

JoJoBetsy

Seaman

Originally posted by bastosdesign:<br /> Okay guys... HELP!! I checked the gear oil in the outdrive, and no difference. <br />I am at a loss what to do.. this does not feel like a shifter cable...<br />Any other ideas?
You really have to post the serial numbers here so that those in the know, namely Don S., can get you the right info for your motor/outdrive combo. Also, I know being new to the boating experience presents quite the learning curve if you plan on adding to that experience the DIY attitude of maintenance and troubleshooting. Give the forum members a feel of what you are willing to do and the responses will be only as technical as your DIY capabilities. In other words, if you don't think you'd ever remove your boat's outdrive to get to a shift cable issue, then your best answer will be to get to know a good mechanic. Find out their vices as well; I've found some beer and cigars can put my boat at the front of the line during the season. <br /><br />jb