HA ... So my first boat experience with my own Starcraft.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi everyone,

It is me once again. This time a little different however. I've taken my Starcraft out today on the water and brought my five year old daughter. Could I not be completely wrong and embarrassing. I took her to the canal around here, thought if anything should go wrong or she don't flow, we can bail Pippi (the boat) and swim to shore. Weather was nice but way too hot, 99 F. No Bimini top yet which by the way has been ordered. Anyways, that was problem number one, way to hot, no shade, etc... And well after realizing after half hour nothing leaking or sign of leaking, I wanted to really give it a run.. But canal is like 10 mph and a lot of no wake zones. So we weren't having the breeze in your hair type run.

Problem number two in two situations. You've guessed it, some of you. Backing up the trailer in down the ramp to the water. I thought I was going to shoot myself from all the embarrassment not only because I was in front of my kid but other people too. It took quite the time to get it right. I'm guessing picking a place where there is only one ramp and you can't make your truck or trailer straight together was my number one problem. I had to drive it in with trailer in the water and ramp with my truck being on an angle. Not enought room. Sorry to the folks that wanted to launch their boats and me taking a nice sweet time.

Problem number three. Driving the boat onto the trailer and off. Once again, nice slow approach and bang.. Missed it. Who do you listen to when I've researched this. I probably should of just approached slightly and then use the hook and wire to bring her in the rest of the way. Maybe my trailer is screwed up, don't know but this took few tries and bangs like crazy to get Pippi on the thing. Few scratches which were very painful.

That is it. My kid thought I was crazy but in the end, the hour and a half that I've been on the water in her was awesome... Sure frustration, embarrassment and anger was all at beginning and end but I had fun in the mids of it. Now I'll take anyone's suggestion specially to backing the trailer and bringing the boat onto the trailer... Maybe I didn't have the trailer deep enough.. She would swing right before the second set of rollers and go onto the side... Grrr.

That was my experience today, was it hot today... Lol. I'll be at it again sometimes next week, might try going to the niagara river since they got four launching ramps, more people to be embarrassed in front of lol. I'm a perfectionist sorry. Lol

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: HA ... So my first boat experience with my own Starcraft.

I never get mad or impatient when someone is loading or unloading by themselves with their child. We've all been there and we forget far to soon what it was like. My 7 year old is coming with me next week. Count on a few extra minutes waiting.....

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

catbones, I will start by saying that when launching and retrieving most of my responses are based on the fact that 90% of the time the ramps I use are too shallow to try and drive onto the trailer. Most of the time the end roller is still above water which is why I use a tilt trailer. I can honsetly state that I have never driven onto my trailer. So I cannot offer any advice there.

As to backing the trailer, just find a deserted parking lot or road and practice. I myself live on a deadend street and the ramp is at the end with nowhere to park or turn around so I back down from the house every time. It's about a block and a half from house to ramp. Would also be a good idea to practice turning while backing, say as into a driveway or parking spot!

Good luck and practice.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

use your winch and crank the boat up on the trailer. it's what it's there for. you have a light boat.

most of the people who have loading problems are in too deep and expect to float all the way up. That's not the deal.

And be sure your ramp permits you to drive on (power load); most don't and you will get an ear full if you do.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It seems wrong but it is true, backing in to deep is much worse than too shallow. Don't sink the fenders all the way in the water back in just enough to cover 99% then you should be real close.I coast onto the trailer as far as it will go with just a little power to slide it up then winch it the rest of the way on. Just experiment until you find a way that you are comfortable with. Your backing skills will improve with practice don't let people waiting rush you it will just cause mistakes. It's your ramp as much as theirs and they can wait.

Congrats on a successful maiden voyage !!! There is nothing better than family time on the water :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Practice, practice, practice!

If the back of your boat was still floating when it was all the way up on the trailer you were backed in too deep.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have bunks, if at all possible back your tow vehicle in so your main bunks are fully submerged, then pull back out a couple of feet. This way when you're cranking on that boat, the wet bunks will help with friction while loading...MUCH easier.

It might take a little time, but have a rope tied off of your bow eye and pulling the boat up on the trailer as much as you can. Next, have your daughter hold the rope while standing on the dock, while you connect the winch strap is a cool way to have her help daddy, then just winch her on. I'm not a big fan of power loading either. It hurts the ramp for others, plus it's not good for your boat.

Lots of good recommendations on this thread, you'll be a pro in no time. Have fun with your new boat! -Joe

NYBo

Admiral

The rule of thumb: Launch deep, retrieve shallow.

PWH1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That was my experience today, was it hot today... Lol. I'll be at it again sometimes next week, might try going to the niagara river since they got four launching ramps, more people to be embarrassed in front of lol. I'm a perfectionist sorry. Lol
Suggestion RE: Niagara River...

I purchase a launch permit ($30.00 for season) that allows me access to a private launch at Gratwick Park (http://www.recreationparks.net/NY/niagara/gratwick-waterfront-park-north-tonawanda) The launch was constructed by the Army Corp of Engineers is concrete and is comprised of 4 wide lanes with really nice rubberized floating docks. I like this launch not only because its super nice, but due to the permit, the traffic is much lower at that launch than the free boat launches along the river. This option would give you an opportunity to take your time without a lot of added pressure to practice backing your trailer down the launch to the water.

Another great aspect of this ramp site is that particular location is lower current and like launching into a inland lake - typically calm and smooth. Other launch sites on the river can be affected by the current and as soon as your boat lifts from the trailer its game on trying to control it.

emoney

Commander

Sounds like a great day. Not sure I'm a fan of letting the 5 year old hold anything. She/he's best away from the fray. Depending on your setup, I leave about 1/5 of the bunk above water and let the crank do the work. Parking lot's are great for practice. Closed strip malls, etc. offer tons of practice space. The best solution, however is usage. The more you do it, the better you'll become.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a great day. Not sure I'm a fan of letting the 5 year old hold anything. She/he's best away from the fray. Depending on your setup, I leave about 1/5 of the bunk above water and let the crank do the work. Parking lot's are great for practice. Closed strip malls, etc. offer tons of practice space. The best solution, however is usage. The more you do it, the better you'll become.

Good thinking, of course safety dictates.....she isn't doing anything, except holding a useless rope, that's not doing anything, but that's not what counts. Depending on where you boat, keeping her occupied is way better than a thousand other things that could happen when you're preoccupied with the boat. My kids are 22 and 20 and they survived :)

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to boating!

With some practice, the launching and loading will get better. I may suggest some guide poles on the trailer, and learn to back with your mirrors. Every trailer and boat combo is different.

Where we boat, it is river current running perpendicular to the trailer as you launch and load, and the ramp wells are lined with concrete rip rap (like jagged bolders) so you HAVE to power load, rather, approach the trailer so your sideways drift will time with your bow going up on the trailer. That teaches you boat handling!

Enjoy the boat and most importantly, the family.

tkz

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, I am also new to Boating as well, as mentioned above find a lot and practice, keep your moves smooth and small backing up. remember, whichever way your trailer is getting too far over, turn yout wheel towards that direction in your mirror, if that makes sense. For loading the boat back up, I have been using a rope and floating the boat onto the trailer, has bee working good for me. Can't believe that nobody got out to help you out.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Suggestion RE: Niagara River...

I purchase a launch permit ($30.00 for season) that allows me access to a private launch at Gratwick Park (http://www.recreationparks.net/NY/niagara/gratwick-waterfront-park-north-tonawanda) The launch was constructed by the Army Corp of Engineers is concrete and is comprised of 4 wide lanes with really nice rubberized floating docks. I like this launch not only because its super nice, but due to the permit, the traffic is much lower at that launch than the free boat launches along the river. This option would give you an opportunity to take your time without a lot of added pressure to practice backing your trailer down the launch to the water.

Another great aspect of this ramp site is that particular location is lower current and like launching into a inland lake - typically calm and smooth. Other launch sites on the river can be affected by the current and as soon as your boat lifts from the trailer its game on trying to control it.

hi, where do you get the pass exactly? I'd love to get one sounds like its a great ramp and area.

Thank you for all these great suggestions and feedbacks. Will be putting her in the water couple times to practice.

cheers!

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Keep practicing but use the ropes to get the boat on the trailer. Trust me, with this huge drought this summer, youre drive is going to be to low and your going to end up dragging against your skeg and prop.

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi, where do you get the pass exactly? I'd love to get one sounds like its a great ramp and area.

Thank you for all these great suggestions and feedbacks. Will be putting her in the water couple times to practice.

cheers!

go to the parks and recreation dept. in the county building in NT on Wheatfield St., you'll need the trailer reg and boat reg and 5 minutes at most. you'll find more than enough helpful people to give you tips and suggestions.

Thalasso

Commander

cheers!

Catbones:::

When you are learning to back up use the mirrors and hold the steering wheel at the bottom. Whichever way you want the trailer to go that's the way you turn the wheel. This method will help until you get the hang of it and then you will find yourself moving to the top of the steering wheel and it will all become automatic. Always if possible, start your backing up from a straight position and go slow. You will want to crank the wheel over hard when you see yourself getting out of alignment but all you will need is a 1/4 turn on the wheel.Don't be embarrassed to pull up to get straight again. If everyone is in a hurry at least they could do is come over and help you a little As said above just coast up to your trailer when retrieving. When the boat settles on the trailer you can give it a little more throttle. Don't submerge your trailer. you can always back in farther to help the winching if needed.Remember when you get on the trailer remember to lift up your drive before pulling out and you won't drag it.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yep, as Thalasso said, practice backing up using only your mirrors. Cuz if the only way you learn to back up is by turning your head around and looking out the back some day your going to have truck full of stuff, you won't be able to turn around and look out the back and you will be SCREWED! It takes some time but you'll get it. As others have said, go to a big parking lot and practice. Also practice turning and backing. Soon people will be admiring you and asking you to back there stuff in. It happens. :)

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate your comments and ideas or suggestions. It was an amazing day today so I took the boat out once again today and must say I was much faster at putting her in and taking her out, plus i was alone too. Now this time I took her to the river and waves weren't very much high but past 15mph she was bouncing all over place. I know I've got a nice weight in the back with the motor, gas tank and battery and I'm not a big guy. Any suggestions how to make her not hump dump all around or is it because she just small and that's it. I know the guy I bought it from told me I should move a pin closer to the transom if i want to keep her nose down. Is that right, anything else. Anchor is at the front too, not the back. I just don't like all that hopping, sounds sometimes like she might fall apart on me.

cheers!

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I know exactly how you feel I'm 70 years old I have a 24 ft pontoon boat. My wife isn't much help sort of like a five year old. We've been boating for 40 years and still can't get it right. My pontoon boat needs to be a center console. Where the steering wheel is and the front of the boat is doesn't line up to easy on a bunk trailer. After I put the trailer in the water I have an Eye bolt with a tow line that my wife throws to me so I can get into the water to pull the boat up onto the bunks hoping the rear end doesn't get off of the bunks. I have plastic tubing inside the bunks to line up the toons with.I can't wait until I sell it and get a smaller boat. One I don't have to depend on other's to help me.