Loose bow eye

nick_vw

Seaman
this is an older (1987) regal sebring 19 ft fiberglass. Bought the boat on the trailer, and launched it in june. Today i had a walk around out on the sandbar and noticed a (very) loose bow eye bolt. The fiberglass is not damaged, but it is hanging out at least an inch farther than it should be. plenty of exposed threads. I have no idea how these are re-enforced, but there are two nuts on visible on the eye on the front side, should i just tighten these down or should i see whats going on behind it? I actually cant see any way to access behind it in this boat (bow-rider). I'm just worried the backer plate/nuts have come loose. Really don't want that snapping free while i'm winching it up :mad:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Loose bow eye

Time to make an access panel for the bow eye.

Betting you bow eye wasn't installed with nyloc nuts.

the vision

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should be a plate and nuts on the inside. Like jig said time to cut an access hole.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Frequently accessed from the anchor locker, if it is a wooden backing block make sure it has not rotted with the damp.

moparkid16

Cadet

i have the same problem. found a 1/2 inch gap that i could see the back side of the eye. mine looks like the fiberglass is all busted up around the bottom nut. my guess is the wood rotted. my plan of action is to cut an access panel, or try to lift the whole front part top of boat up enough to get to it. i think an access panel is better. definately get it fixed!!