low oil pressure while corning hard

harryjt

Cadet
i have a 2012 350 mag mpi.with full cats. i check the oil every time on my pretrip inspection, and it is always at the full mark. the motor just turned 19 hours and i am getting ready to do the post break in oil change. I was out with the wife and kids today and noticed after performing a hard left turn that the factory oil pressure guage went to zero while making the turn and returned to 20 psi after leveling back out. I immediately backed off the throttle and drove the boat to a cove and rechecked the oil.which was still on the full mark after sitting for 10 minutes for the oil to return to the pan.It has never given me a low oil alarm or flashed the service light while this was happening.I guess i wondering if this is normal or do i need to bring the boat to the dealer for warranty repair.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: low oil pressure while corning hard

2012 ????? Take it back to the dealer, something is wrong and you shouldn't be loosing oil pressure, even in a tight turn.

oldjeep

Admiral

Returned to 20psi? You should be running a lot higher than that when you are on the gas.

harryjt

Cadet

ir is running 80 psi cold. warmed up at 4000 rpm i am getting 45-50 idle warm i am at 10 psi

The 80 is ok when cold but those warm engine readings are very low for an engine with only 19 hours run time. Something is wrong - hopefully just a bad oil pressure sensor:)

harryjt

Cadet

here is a update for everybody. i talked to the dealer yesterday. i guess this is not the first boat this year with the same problem. they have already changed the sender and the oil pressure gauge on another 2012 boat with the same problem and now they are working with mercruiser to find the problem. so i am waiting until they come up with a solution for the problem. the dealer i purchased the boat is 6 hour drive for me. so i really don't want to play the try this and see game. since it is not going into guarding mode and the dealer feels it is only a gauge problem, and they think it is a bad batch of senders. I am going to wait and see what the outcome is.

Don S

the dealer i purchased the boat is 6 hour drive for me.

You do understand that you do not have to take it back to the selling dealer for repairs. Your nearest certified Mercruiser dealer can fix it for you under warranty.

Do you have your engine serial number handy?

harryjt

Cadet

yeah if it turns into something major i have two other crownline dealers close to me. one is only a 15 minutes away but i do not like the owner. the second is about 2 hours from my slip and 40 minutes from my house. The dealer i purchased the boat said if it turns out just to be a sensor they would ship me the part and sign off on it. if it turns into a major job,then ill have to pull the boat and figure out what i am going to do. If the guardian system is seeing pressure the gauge sender is in the same port correct? I can't see it being a pressure problem.
sorry i don't have the serial number on me. i can get it this weekend.

Don S

You don't have a Crownline problem, you have a Mercruiser problem. Find a Mercruiser dealer they are the ones that can do your warranty work, rather they sell Crownlines or not.