1991 OMC King Cobra Exhaust Sleeve

Spyder208

Cadet
Getting ready to launch the boat in the water for the summer I found that my King Cobra exhaust sleeve has some weather checking in a few spots, the drive line bellows are just fine, is this something to worry about?? The exhaust sleeve is in no danger of falling off, the weather checks aren't that far away from the end of it anyway, any thoughts on this, thanks for any help, I'm new to the King Cobra. Chev 454

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1991 OMC King Cobra Exhaust Sleeve

What are you calling an exhaust sleeve? There is nothing on your engine actually known as an exhaust sleeve. If you can, describe where it's located and what it's attached to, that would sure help. A picture would be even better.

Spyder208

Cadet

Its a rubber sleeve attached to the transom mount only, it just slips inside the sterndrive to direct exhaust gasses through it, its below the driveshaft bellows.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Didn't even know OMC used those. <br />Besides, if it fell off completely it wouldn't really hurt anything, so the weather checks aren't a problem.

Spyder208

Cadet

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The holes you are calling weather checks might just be there on purpose.<br /><br />I bought a new outdrive kit and it included a new drive bellows and a new exhaust bellows. The exhaust bellows has holes in it presumably to allow water drain to out of it etc....so they're there on purpose.<br /> If you stretch the ex bellows out the holes seem to get bigger(or rounder).<br /><br /><br />If you have thru the transom exhaust, there is no exhaust bellows.<br /><br />I have a diverter-valve system on mine that allows either thru the transom or thru the drive exhaust at the flick of a switch. It's a little quieter thru the outdrive of course!

Spyder208

Cadet

Mine is just an exhuast sleeve, only atached at the transom mount, just a couple small cracks in the rubber, I like the idea of a switchable exhaust outlet, is that something you added or a fcatory option, I'd love to have the option.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The boat belonged to my brother and when had the engine rebuilt (in Redding, Ca) he had the rebuilder add the diverter valves and the y-tube for outdrive exhaust. The guy neglected to install the exhaust bellows though. My brother didn't know either way. It didn't seem to hurt anything while it was missing either.<br /><br />I bought a generic OMC Cobra outdrive repair (remove/replace) kit and it included gaskets (gimble drive shaft) bearing, and 2 bellows(+shift cable bellows). I intially thought the exhaust bellows was defective but it's obvious that they intentionally placed holes in the bellows for installation down. (6 o'clock position).<br /><br />The service manual indicated that the bellows was not used in the thru the transom models and showed which parts were required for each method. <br /><br />It would be a good idea for you to get an OMC service + parts manual when you can. It's pretty handy.

Spyder208

Cadet

Yeah I've got the OMC service and repair manual, they both talked about the exhaust bellows, the Seloc on line manual says exhaust sleeve, take into consideration, it was late at night when I saw the small crack and panic set in, just the exhaust sleeve, no big deal,I do like the diverter though, have I said that already??