water in boat

LARSON96

Cadet
We were out in the lake yesterday and pulled the boat and drained boat by removing the plug. There was a lot of water in the boat. How much I would say a constant stream of water for a few minutes. I store my boat with the motor down to not stress the bellows. The boat ran fine. I replaced the impellar recently and the motor ran cooler than it did before the repair. I did not notice oil in the water by the outdrive. My question is where should I look and if it is the bellows what is the best way to check them to make sure it is or isn't the bellows. I had the bellows done about four years ago. Thanks for any help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: water in boat

After being a Volvo tech for many years, I am going to let you in on a little know secret the pros use when faced with an unknown leak.
We put the boat in the water, open the engine hatch and any other hatch or cover we can find and start looking, listening, and feeling around until you find it.
Since there was oil in the water, check the bellows for water as well.

LARSON96

Cadet

Okay we put the boat in the water while it sat on the trailer in the water with the engine not running I noticed a trickle of water seeming to come from a silver plate on the very bottom of the transom. This was looking inside the engine compartment. When we pulled it out I also notice with the lower end up there seems to be water coming from the bellows. The end of the bellows farthest from the boat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Water coming out of the exhaust bellows is normal. It always has water in it when the boat is in the water.

The water inside coming in is another. Since that plate is at the bottom, find out what is leaking down to it.

I have had water collecting there before in drives, and it was the steering pivot seal in the top of the drive that was leaking. You still have to find where the water is coming in at.

LARSON96

Cadet

I took my boat to a local shop and was told that they would have to pull the engine and the out drive to figure out where the leak was coming from. I assumed that all they would need to do is pull the out drive off. I s this typical do diagnose a leak?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

First thing I would do would be to pull the drive and see if you have water in the bellows.