1988 Sylvan Offshore 22'

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And so it begins :-(

I bought this boat knowing I needed a floor and re-powered , I bought it to use on lake erie and Im in no hurry as I have a garage kept working fishing boat, so Im going to take my time on this one. Not very happy to have even started this. I remember 10 years ago I told myself NEVER AGAIN.

Anyhow here is the boat before pictures

015.jpg007.jpgget-attachment (9).jpgget-attachment (8).jpgget-attachment (6).jpg

1988 Sylvan Marine 22 Offshore
This outboard sportsfisherman is 21.58 feet long and weighs 1430 (pounds dry). This weight does not account for passengers, fuel, or gear. The beam of this craft is 92 inches. The max horsepower for this boat on our records is 240 hp . If you choose to buy a replacement engine for your Sylvan Marine 22 Offshore boat, it is recommended by many, that you verify the max horsepower for your boat. This is because of safety reasons - as it would effect the insurability of your outboard boat. Be sure to have the manual for your engine handy, not only for your safety, but to save you money on repair costs.

Your Sylvan Marine aluminum hulled boat can be kept in better condition by covering it properly when not in use. This will help to prolong its use and resale value. Proper maintenance and care (and winterization if needed) will also help maintain the usability and value of the craft. As outboard engine life also effects the value of a boat, we have included engine information as well.

Information on this page is provided to you as a free service of iboats.com. Because this information has come from many sources we can not guarantee its accuracy. Even if this information is the same as the original factory specs, boats are sometimes modified. Thus, for safety and other reasons, it is a good idea to verify information here to make sure it matches up with your boat. For additional information, we recommend the iboats forums and a boating safety course.
Engine Information:
Boat Max HP : 240 hp

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Sylvan Offshore 22'

Will be using these pictures later when I put her all back together

014.jpg012.jpg011.jpg002.jpgget-attachment (7).jpg

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well today I went outside and actually started the work, my goal today was to remove the side panels (screws / rivets) thd remove the gas tanks and seats , and start removing the floor UP TO the cabin walls , however , as you may know its never that easy. I removed the panels first, I want to add here for the sake of the rookies , all week I was worried about the rivets because I never worked with them before, I wondered how hard they would be to remove , not hard at all , simply get any drill bit slightly larget than the hole in the top of the rivet and drill until it POPS , absolutely simple , mere seconds on each rivet.

Side panels out I removed the boxes covering the fuel tanks , which came right out due to the rotten deck, I then removed the hoses by cuttint them off , dry rotted , I will replace all the hoses on the boat anyhow.

I then realized that reality is , I would not be able to remove the deck UP TO the cabin only , the whole @#$#@#$ @#$#@#@ deck has to come out. meaning the cuddy has to come out to, basically every piece of wood on this rig is rotted , anyhow it is what it is.

002 (3).jpg004 (2).jpg008.jpg010.jpg

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very happy with the fuel tanks , 20 gallons each , aluminum , also I would like to make a digital note to myself that Im sure to need later on... red wire to the center nut , black to the bracket.... for the fuel gauges i guess

After the tanks were out I started to rip up the carpet , it came out in 1 piece , and more reality... this deck is 100% garbage...

No way I can leave any wood at all on this boat... so Im now worried about the transon which I will dreadfully deal with later

Next Im going out to remove side & top panels in the cuddy and start to remove the walls...sigh

I was going to do the deck first but I thought I better leave it there until I get the cuddy out , so at least I have something to walk on.

I should be able to use 4 out of 5 pieces of the old deck to make a template on new wood

009.jpg014.jpg011.jpg012.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Beautiful boat.

The very first thing that came to my mind was to turn those PVC guides into bunk rails which are more efficient and look better too. Look at the second post here of my Starcraft http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=568781 and those side guide boards are home made.

Yes, you have some work ahead having to get all the way down to the decking under the front cap.

Okay I will be the first to say it.......... Do it right and you will never look back to regret it.

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looking for a trailer its trash

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

She was a hardcore fishing rig at one point and can be again:)

Just thought I'd swing through and tag along your project if it's cool:cool:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like a cool rig. Good luck with her, she'll make an excellent Erie rig.

So 10 years ago was it an aluminum boat or glass? Aluminum good, glass not so much.

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

6 years ago is more like it and it was glass , the boat in my sig...1972 MFG sprint...I still have it , its my rig! love it .... decided to keep it , after all the work its been dry and garage kept , just cant let it go , i know its dry and foamed to the max , also it was such a job that I decided on aluminum this time lol

Awful glad you guys will follow me and PLEASE chime in if you can offer any help.

Just came in for a time out and I didnt get as far as I wanted , had another suprise.... pics to follow

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Ask questions. I'll follow your thread and chime in when I can help. Other TinHeads will be along here too. I see Jasoutside found you're thread also.

I'm glad I started with an aluminum boat as my first and second projects. I finished one (12 footer) and am starting back on the other an 18' Starcraft Offshore with a 3.0 mercruiser I/O.

The MFG is a nice looking boat, they were very well built. Glad you saved one.

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I went into the cuddy and removed the vinyl covered ceiling panels and padded vinyl rails , and they were rotten to the core , I was able to remove enough to make a good template and my wife can do the vinyl and padding , just wasnt expecting it needed done. But not suprised, and Im ready for more surprises that I know I will find.

I also removed the carpeted board that ruls across the back of the boat , its also rotted , again I was able to spare the piece for a great template.

021.jpg023.jpg

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like the water leak in the cuddy was because somebody mounted something crudely , just shot screws through the dash etc... Should be no problem sealing it up dry. The foam between the ceiling panels was soaked in the areas of the screws , and the foam was heavy like a brick! A water logged brick! I unscrewed it and it fell to the floor with a thud! Glad to have it out of my boat , I will repl;ace with the pink board stuff from home depot. Although I do plan on using some pour foam in the front of the bow under the cuddy in the "dead space" and using pink board a few more places.

Some good news is around the "hatch" (sunroof) the boat is dry , the wood is in good shape and sturdy

011.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg027.jpg

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also quite sure the windows will need a fresh bead of the best marine sealant I can find.

I started working on the cuddy wall , I noticed how fragile it was on the bottom , rotten , brittle , I was careful to remove all the screws and had to drill 2 small rivets , I was able to get half of the wall out tonight. The other side wont be so easy as I have the rats nest of a helm to deal with, but at least I know how to get it out.

In order to het the wall out , you must remove some of the padded rails and panels , more rotton wood , no sweat replacing though. Provided my wife can handle the vinyl like she thinks she can. I guess I will look for some sort of padded foam ???

I also got the glove box cover off , its faded , but I know I can make this look real pretty in no time.

012.jpg020.jpg024.jpg029.jpg025.jpg

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

Making some good progress.Looks like it will be a sweet rig when you get it done.:)

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see I have to remove some rivets to get the bed / storage frame out , I was hoping to be able to remove the whole cuddy in 1 big piece , and slide it back in and screw it down after the floor , does not look like I will be so lucky. Im a little worried about messing this up

008.jpg014.jpg018.jpg019.jpg

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Removed the control box , probably not going to use this one , Im hoping its worth something? Anyone know this brand control? Whats it worth?

022.jpg

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

The controller is US Marine; which is Force if I remember right. Should be worth something to somebody.

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny how the boat was so pretty on the inside , I instantly knew the floor was soft the moment I stepped in it , but the rails and panels never even gave me a hint they were soft. Looks like the water wicked up the cuddy wall , the bottom is where its brittle , the rest is solid dry wood , will be replaced with new. I will coat any and all wood going into the boat with epoxy.

Its a pain in the arse but feels good to get the rotten stuff out

026.jpg5L65J65Mc3L33F13Nbc794dc5da83428f181a.jpg025.jpg

Tomorrow I will see what I can do about the framework inside the cuddy and removing the other side of the cuddy wall , the helm etc... after I get those out I can get the floor out , cant wait to have a look under their!

I'm betting it cant be as bad as my last boat (in my signature)

I counted 5 or 6 sections of floor , I will start in the front and work my way back to the most rotten, unless its pouring rain in the morning

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My wife just looked at the photo with the left cuddy wall missing and said.... why dont you leave it off .... Hmmmmmm that is kind of worth thinking over.... No door , half a wall behind the helm, open cuddy would stay cooler... more room , no squeezing in the door , The cuddy protects you from the weather , but if the weather is that bad I wouldn't be on the boat. I have to admit , This is not that bad of an idea!

I know the big box covering the fuel tank would be there with a seat on it will be in front of it anyway , But I am going to give this some thought

Perhaps the structural integrity of the boat would be affected?