1980 70HP Evinrude Carb Rebuild - Part 1

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Based on feedback from an earlier thread it looks like I have to rebuild the carbs this year. From initial tests it looks like this might be a really good engine for my needs so doing this now is probably warranted. I don't have a service manual yet but one is in the mail. Should be here in a couple days.
Until then I was able to get things ready by removing a few things in the way
Disconnected the battery and removed the red plug, positive, and negative connections. Placed them out of the way.
Removed the plastic sound suppressor, some kind of breather tube, and mounting plate on the carbs.
Removed all hoses.
This initial work leaves me with several questions.
Q1 ? where do I get the gaskets - the one for the carb opening and the one between the plastic mount and the plastic cover. image #1 & #2
Q2 - can I buy the hose assemblies or do I have to fabricate them. Image # 3

I found a couple of them under the fuel pump supplies but I can?t find all of them. Particularly the one for the 3 carbs. Is there a place that might have them and there is no OMC dealer in my area any more. If I have to fabricate them is there a brand or type of hose that is quality and somewhat flexible.
Q3 - There must be a better way of clamping these hoses then the plastic wire tie things that are on there. Do I just use SS pipe clamps or is there something else out there.
Q4 - While I am at this should I replace the fuel pump. I know it is a cost but I can get at it now and this motor has not been run for a while. The bolts tell me the carbs have been rebuilt but the hoses are hard as a rock.
Q5 - I know the service manual will help but is there any trick to removing the linkages on the side of the carbs with the least possible disruption. There are lots of small springs to get lost. Image # 4
Monday or Tuesday I?ll be making an order and I would like to find some of this stuff pre-made if possible. I definitely need the gaskets. I have other questions but I?ll wait until the service manual shows up before posting them. Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• P1000815.jpg
    P1000815.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1
  • P1000806.jpg
    P1000806.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1
  • P1000825.jpg
    P1000825.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1
  • P1000812.jpg
    P1000812.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: 1980 70HP Evinrude Carb Rebuild - Part 1

None of the pipes are anything special as in bends etc, straight new pipe will be plenty pliable to curve it, if not
then boil some water and use it to bend the pipes to what you want.
Just plug the ends of pipe so no water gets inside them.

The cork gasket on the airbox to carbs is again nothing realy special, and cork gasket material from an auto strore will do the job.
The main gackets for the carbs is what you do need to get right, again you can do this from gasket material but i would get intouch with this site to buy those if you live in the states.
The linkage for all 3 carbs just pulls out of the plastic gromets, its not hard to keep it all set up while stripping the carbs etc.

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found the gaskets, just not on this site. Still have a question about the fasteners. I can buy the plastic ties but would rather something else. Also, should I look at replacing the fuel pump. An OEM will cost about $100 with shipping. I can't seem to find a Sierra for my year and model.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

You can buy a pump rebuild kit. The job is not hard at all. Just watch that little spring.

Tom B.
(LongLine)