2004 5.7 Gi running rich

jckc779

Cadet
Anybody have any suggestions?
My 2004 Ebbtide 2400 Mystique, 24' deckboat with the 5.7 Gi runs rich. It smells rich and the back of the boat is covered in black soot every time I run it. It runs fairly smooth. I have spent quite a bit of money trying to get it fixed including finally buying the Diacom diagnostic software to try to figure it out myself. There are no codes. I thought I had it narrowed down to the fuel pressure regulator because the diagnostic instructions say the pressure should be 50 - 60 psi when the key is turned on but should drop 3 - 10 psi when it starts. The pressure is 50 psi when I turn the key on but it doesn't drop when the engine is started, in fact it goes up about 2 psi. I figured I had it solved but a new pressure regulator performed exactly the same ($200 down the drain!). I checked the vacuum, including pulling a vacuum on the regulator with a pump and it's within spec. The water temperature is on the lower end of spec, 155 F. The manifold air temperature and pressure seem correct, at least they start at ambient conditions and change accordingly as the engine warms up. The IAC valve was replaced by a boat shop but that didn't help. I have also pulled the injectors and checked them for leakage, they don't leak. I'm at a loss at this point. Any suggestions?

heavyhammer

Cadet
Re: 2004 5.7 Gi running rich

Has it always run rich, or is this something that just started?

jckc779

Cadet

Has it always run rich, or is this something that just started?

I am not the original owner but it has run rich since I've owned it. Sometimes it won't start when warm unless I open the throttle. I haven't been able to reproduce it sitting on the trailer. I have rigged a fuel pressure gauge to monitor it next time I'm on the water, along with the Diacom data.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Ok its a gi now is it Throttlebotty or mpi..make's a big difference

jckc779

Cadet

Ok its a gi now is it Throttlebotty or mpi..make's a big difference

MPI, which made it a bit more difficult to check the injectors for leaking but I did pull them out, pressurize the system and check. I didn't find anything leaking.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hook it up to a scan tool and see what the ECT is showing. If it's showing low, it would make the engine run richer because it was telling the ECM that the engine is cold and it should run richer. It won't set any kind of a code, since the ECM doesn't know what the engine temp is other than what the ECT sensor says it is.

Don S

His engine is not using MEFI, he has the Volvo EGC format, and the ECT is just that, (Engine Coolant Temp) and it's not called a CTS

A full model number (The letter/s after the 5.7Gi) would be very handy.

jckc779

Cadet

Don, thanks for the input on the ECT. As I mentioned, it's showing 155 F which is within spec but on the low side. I did this test on the trailer with hose cooling so I need to get to the lake to get real data. The rich smell is a continuous issue but hard starting when warm is intermittent and it starts right away if I open the throttle (ie let air in) . I keep thinking it has to be either a low temp, high fuel pressure or leaking injectors, none of which have happened while on the trailer. I just got the Diacom software so all my testing so far is on the trailer. I have rigged a fuel pressure gauge so I can monitor the pressure along with the Diacom data when I get to the lake.

I got fooled into replacing the fuel pressure regulator because I had two diagnostic tests that pointed that way. One was a slight increase in fuel pressure when I start the engine (the book says it should go down). The second was a drop in fuel pressure over time, engine not running (spec is no more than 2 psi in 10 minutes). Replacing the pressure regulator made no difference except that I noticed that once the engine was warmed up, the pressure with the engine off stabilized pretty quick at around 48 psi whereas when cold, it keeps dropping. I didn't go back to see if the original regulator also stabilized with a warm engine. I was doubting a regulator issue in the first place because a boat shop replaced it a couple years ago and I was having a hard time imagining these as being unreliable, but I thought that is what the tests were telling me so now I have a spare :)

Regarding your second post, it's a 5.7GiE.

Thanks again.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Not sure what you mean Tailgunner. "bad post"??

I assumed it was a mefi ecm and the oracle rightlfully ponted out it is not a mefi and cleaned up some terminollogy. That is why he is the Oracle...
IAT Intake Air Temperature
ECT Engine Coolant Temperature
RPM Engine Speed
MAF Mass Air Flow
Injectors
ECM

There's your chain of command well not chain... but all those directly effect the final amount of fuel that is deliverd so it sounds like either a MAF of dirty injector's

INJECTOR'S

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

You can post the code on the ECM and that will help determine if it is mefi..however The above post check all those variables they control the fuel metering MAF sensor most importantly. IF this a saltwater motor connection's can corrode and send incorrectly

Don S

Actually, the Oracle screwed up big time. He does have an MEFI 4 Ecm, the EGC didn't hit till 2006. :redface: :redface: :redface:

I will go to my corner and set quietly now.

jckc779

Cadet

You can post the code on the ECM and that will help determine if it is mefi..however The above post check all those variables they control the fuel metering MAF sensor most importantly. IF this a saltwater motor connection's can corrode and send incorrectly

A number on the top - 571AFM\04US01.
Part number listed on it is 3863334
Just fresh water.
Thanks much.

jckc779

Cadet

Actually, the Oracle screwed up big time. He does have an MEFI 4 Ecm, the EGC didn't hit till 2006. :redface: :redface: :redface:

I will go to my corner and set quietly now.

No worries Don. I thought maybe there were some semantics going on here. Just glad to hear I'm not totally off the mark!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Check Your maf clean your injectors...I will tell you mefi runs very rich try 10 to 11/1. Ever check the plugs and make sure the long reach plug's...assume nothing with a new to you boat. Those are not mefi code's but here's a link to mefi.... http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/MEFI/

A diag file http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/MEFI/MEFI 4 & 4B DIAGNOSTIC MANUAL (L510005P).pdf

Fuel Injectors..Page 3A-4
The fuel injector assembly is a solenoid-operated device,
controlled by the ECM, that meters pressurized fuel to a
single engine cylinder (Figure 3-4). The ECM energizes
the injector solenoid, which opens a ball valve, allowing
fuel to fl ow past the ball valve, and through a recessed
fl ow director plate. The director plate has six machined
holes that control the fuel fl ow, generating a conical spray
pattern of fi nely atomized fuel at the injector tip. Fuel is
directed at the intake valve, causing it to become further
atomized and vaporized before entering the combustion
chamber.
An injector that is stuck partly open would cause loss
of pressure after engine shut down. Consequently, long
cranking times would be noticed. Dieseling could also
occur, because some fuel could be delivered to the engine
after the ignition is turned “OFF.” A fuel injector that does
not open, may cause a “no-start” or a misfi re.
Fuel Pump

You may want to retune your ecm here's link these guys are top in there feild..http://www.obd2allinone.com/sc/details.asp?item=mefitune

Ohh Mr Oracle going to the corner???.....Ok but keep a watchful eye out....;)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Actually you need to confirm you have a mefi and its the right build for that engine..the boats new to you and someone could have easily just dropped in something other than the correct build...ive see more than one thread where a 5.0 ecm was used in a new 5.7 block. Below are the model designation's

MEFI%20part%20numbers.jpg

Shot's of the ecu with designations and build model... poor quality but the first is type second is build this ecm is a 4.3 tbi and show as much

Picture004-5.jpg

Picture003-6.jpg