Help with boat problem on evenrude lark 50hp

dlwilson24

Recruit
Started it up today and it sputtered to start. Finally got it going after a few minutes. I had the cover off to see what the problem was with it not starting up when a piece of metal shot off and hit me in the the arm. I shut it down and found 2 holes in what I believe to be the outside casing. (I'm new to boating and boat repair so I'm not sure). Is this a cracked block. It's a 78 evenrude Lark 50hp that I inherited. Ran great the past 4 years and I've winterized it every year. I've added a link to what the damage looks like. Any ideas on what I need to do? Can I run it this way or will it cause major damage? It seemed to still crank up after this happened but I didn't let it go long for fear something bad may happen and just used the trolling motor. Thanks for any help and advice.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/53132143720287443468120.jpg/

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help with boat problem on evenrude lark 50hp

Looks like you have a rod problem. The block is probably junk, it might be repairable, but would cost quite a bit. You would also have to tear the engine down and see what type of internal damage you have.
Might be cheaper to see if you could find a used power head.

Can I run it this way or will it cause major damage?

That photo is the definition of major damage. Sorry.

....didn't let it go long for fear something bad may happen

Too late.

Might be cheaper to see if you could find a used power head.

A couple of other options. Part out your engine and put the proceeds toward another one, or look for an engine with a bad gearcase that you could rob the powerhead from. You should be able to sell the lower unit and ignition components, and possibly the carbs, midsection and cowling.

dlwilson24

Recruit

A couple of other options. Part out your engine and put the proceeds toward another one, or look for an engine with a bad gearcase that you could rob the powerhead from. You should be able to sell the lower unit and ignition components, and possibly the carbs, midsection and cowling.[/QUOTE]

New to the boating world so need some advice here- what would be a good price to part this motor out at or where could I find some info to help me out with it. I look on line at some other motors of this type but all seemed to be in working condition so I'm not sure what to ask for if I do end up parting it out. If it is that bad this may be the best option for me to do and go with a small hp motor as I really don't need a 50hp for the lakes I fish which are small and have wake limits on all of them. Thanks for any advice.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just found the same damage to a very clean 1960 40 super quiet I picked up for $50.00 damage was kinda hid behind the fuel pump, I'm just heart broke it is a very nice looker, put it on my rack and will hope to find a block, can't win em all. good luck