2001 5.0L 2 Barrel MerCruiser Alpha Stalling

nunnap

Recruit
I have a 2001 5.0L 2 Barrel MerCruiser that is stalling out. I was just de-winterizing the boat and I am having this issue. This is not the first time the stall has happened. Two years ago the same thing happened and I was able to final get the boat going and the boat was fine the rest of the year. The symptoms are as follows: The boat will start and run fine for a short period of time. The time is about 2 minutes at idle and about 45 seconds at full open. I have pulled the carb and cleaned it. I used a new gaskets, but the problem persists. I checked the fuel pump and that is pushing fuel. I had replaced the fuel filter. I replaced the oil sensor due to the gauge was reading high, but the gauge is still reading high. I think it might be the gauge. It is reading 80 psi. The serial number is 0M080027. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2001 5.0L 2 Barrel MerCruiser Alpha Stalling

check oil level first.
is it clean?
pull cap in rocker box to see if milky.
comression test is in order.post results!
do you have any water in chambers????

nunnap

Recruit

Sorry, I did not mention. The oil is fine and very clean. During winterizing at the end of last season the oil had only about 15 hours on it. I changed it and the filter. I did a check on the oil this by pull a quart and replacing it. It looked brand new with no water. Also I forgot to mention that I changed the fuel filter and put in fresh gas in the boat a month ago. Thanks for any help.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

sounds like the oil pressure switch is faulty which keeps the power supplied to the pump in your tank.
i believe you can join the 2 wires together at the switch to bypass it 4 test purpose and if you find the problem is solved then the switch needs replacing.
its near the oil filter. have a look at this post too; http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=310760&highlight=oil+pressure+switch

nunnap

Recruit

Thank you very much for your help.
The Oil pressure switch was the problem. The steps that I went through where as follows:
1) I hooked the fuel pump up directly with a switch to the battery. I was able to keep the engine running with the pump hotwired. The pump had good flow.
2) Checked the pump while the engine was running and the pump was not being turned on.
3) I checked the voltage to the fuel pump and I was seeing voltage at initial cranking, but the voltage would drop out after the engine starting normal running operations.
4) I checked the oil pressure switch to see if it was closing. I was seeing intermittent issues.
5) I changed the oil pressure switch and cleaned the connectors.
6) The engine is running fine now.