60 hp mariner with no spark

gregpaz84

Cadet
I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue. I purchased this engine a few years ago with a boat and other then a few minor adjustments, it ran fine. I recently began preping it to use, starting the engine with water and running it. It ran fine. I removed the batteries to charge and ordered a thermostat and diaphragm kit for replacement. After reinstalling the batteries, the engine would crank fine, but no spark on any of the cylinders. I used the service manual and with a meter I thought was capable of reading component resistances, determined the trigger was defective due to no continuity on any of the wires. I purchased one off ebay, and still no continuity. I called the seller and he stated he never had any luck with resistence readings and had a special tool with lights that triggered while cranking to test the trigger. I decided to use a different meter, and low and behold, this meter was able to get readings within specs. Not only that, but the old trigger was fine as well. I continued testing and through the manual determined the adapter assembly was defective. Had a spare and installed and still no spark. Did the same with the stator. Tested ok, but substituted a known good unit and still no spark. I believe the engine was built from various parts the marina had. There is no serial tag on the transome mount and the only numbers I am able to find is on the welch plug of the power head. (D151887) This motor has the updated stator assembly (red) and must use the adapter or it will burn out the switchbox. My question is I was able to locate a set of 3 CDM coils with the harness for a very reasonalbe price. Will they work with what the motor already has installed. I looked at the wiring diagrams and the color codes are exactly the same as the unit that uses the switchbox. I would much rather replace the coils with CDM's, thereby eliminating the switchbox and saving myself a bunch of money in the process. Switchbox prices for this unit run up past $250, and the CDM deal is much more reasonable. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Just in closing, I tried starting with the blk/yel kill wire disconnected and all wiring is in good condition.

gregpaz84

Cadet
Re: 60 hp mariner with no spark

Thanks anyway. I was able to research this issue and with the stator I have, this is a workable setup. I was also able to remove the black urethane coating on the switchbox wiht paint stripper. Got it all off, down to a super clean board. Checked all components and was able to determine that the charge capacitor was defective. I read another post on here where someone substituted a 220uf capacitor @63volts and he got spark. I was able to get a reading off the cap and determined it was 150 uf. Also checked the voltage output at the desoldered capacitor points on the board while cranking the engine and got 244 vdc. I located a cap at those ratings and will replace it. I just might sell the repaired switchbox due to the fact that I am converting the system to a CDM setup.