1982 35 HP Evinrude problems turning over to start

Moparman340

Recruit
I have a 1982 Evinrude 35 HP that during the day turns over and starts very easy. But as darkness sets in it just clicks when you try and start it. I have replaced the iginition switch , starter , soliode . It had push button start and no problems , I then installed a used control box and key swtich. The emergancy shut off switch checks good , the neutural saftey switch checks out , any ideas where to look would be very helpful

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 35 HP Evinrude problems turning over to start

Sounds like your engine has been cursed by Dracula.

Seriously (a common problem).... If that clicking you mention is the starter solenoid clicking in, then your wiring is okay BUT you might be encountering a voltage drop. This type problem is usually due to a slightly loose connection, a properly tightened but dirty connection, of a internally corroded cable at some point.

Remove and clean all wires and cables pertaining to the starter circuit. This includes even the battery terminals and the ground at the powerhead. Clean also the components that the wires/cables attach to, then tighten them all using a wrench or pliers. DO NOT use your fingers if wing nuts are encountered.

Moparman340

Recruit

Yes , the clicking is the starter sol. . I have take all wires loose and cleaned the ends and retightened. This only happens in the cool of the night during the heat of the day no problems .

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Use a volt meter or test light to check the electrical system when it clicks, see where you are loosing voltage.