1989 Johnson 140 Power Pack

furbelly

Recruit
Johnson 140 H.P. has blown 2 power packs. Checked Stator and Timer Base for proper outputs and shorts to ground. checked for stray voltage on kill wire. Checked for voltage on block ground. It takes about 20 hrs or more of running time if customer is right on time. Using Stevens peak reading volt meter and proper service manual. Talked to CDI and they said that a loose battery connection could be cause but that system doesn't need battery to run. Any ideas. I'm about to send it out hoping I got 2 defective power packs.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Johnson 140 Power Pack

The quote of "20 hrs or more" leads me right into the intermitent small amount of voltage being fed to the kill circuit problem regardless of what your meter reads. Even a microvolt fed to that circuit (black/yellow wire) will cause damage to the powerpack over a period of time.

No offense intended, but is it possible that your meter will not read an extremely low voltage (microvolt).... possibly the ignition switch is indeed intermitent and the voltage leakage simply wasn't present when you did the test. Weird things happen.

Yes, CDI is correct in saying that the engine does not need the battery to run BUT running that engine without a battery will damage the battery charging system.

If for no other reason to have peace of mind about the usual cause of a voltage leak, I would strongly suggest that the ignition switch be replaced....................

And while doing so, make sure that no other wire is connected to that black/yellow wire circuit. A ground wire from any accessory connected to that black/yellow kill circuit will throw voltage to the kill circuit of the powerpack whenever that particular accessory is turned on.