Evinrude 9.9 Coil Packs

bannerd

Seaman Apprentice
Coil packs came in last night, thank you iboats! I didn't have much time to tinker so I was doing a quick test. From the stop switch there is a black wire that goes into a three prong connector. I plugged the new coil pack into the first orange prong and with the spark plug against the block pulled the engine over, I had spark. Plug the prong into the orange wire (Middle connector) and pulled it over... nothing. Plugged it into the next wire (black wire) and pulled it over and had spark. Anyone have a wire schematic for the CDI system? I think it's working:confused:

Heres what the plug looks like.

bannerd

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Evinrude 9.9 Coil Packs

Well replaced the coil packs and still no spark from the top cylinder pack. I notice that it was sparking off the coil pack ground, I'm thinking this is messed up. I just ordered a power pack so that should be here soon. The bottom cylinder is firing all day long and will run the engine. If I WOT the motor both cylinders do kick in but on a low idle it chugs running on one cylinder.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Swap the coils around and see if the issue follows the coil. If not, it's likely the pack...

bannerd

Seaman Apprentice

Coils are brand new, I just bought them from iboats. Even on the new coil I'm not getting spark. Hopefully the power pack fixes this, I noticed that the power pack had a split in the rubber sealed coating. My motor was in the bottom of the lake for three weeks so I imagine water made its way into it. What's odd is that it ran fine for the rest of the summer and I used it in the winter and several times this summer. I was eight miles up a river when it gave out on me. I rowed about five miles and then decided to work on the motor, took it all apart and that's when I notice it was firing on one cylinder. I was able to get it to run and when I wot it, both of them fired and I made it home. Rowing sucks haha.