setting points on a 6 h.p. evinrude

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello, just put new coils,points and condensers on this motor. my question is, according to the service manual I set the new points at .022. How long do I run the motor before I set the points back to .020?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: setting points on a 6 h.p. evinrude

Don't know, I have always set them to .020 to begin with. Are you going by a factory manual?

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

in the evinrude service manual it says " If timing light or meter is not available, use a feeler gauge to adjust breaker points. Point gap should be set to .020 inch(new points-.022 inch) with the breaker arm on the high lobe of the cam(full open)" ??????

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Like the others, I've always set points at .020 but, if the Service Manual says different, maybe I've been doing it wrong! The drawback is that (at some point) you'll need to re-adjust them to .020. Hard to say when that should be done though. It would depend on the amount of usage.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

With new points, you set them for .022" to allow for the rubbing block to wear into the cam and it will stabilize if a good cam lubricant (or the felt pad) is used. If you recheck points after about 10 hours, you will see that they are about .020" now.

On older engines where the upper bearing may be well worn, the motors sometimes run better with the points closer together as the crankshaft wobble will cause them to open a bit wider while the motor is running.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The nominal .020" is only a "good enough" approximation anyway. If you want to get then truly correct, use the timing fixture and meter method as described in the manuals. After using the fixture, you may find that they aren't .020". The fixture is correct, the gap method is second best.

What really counts is "when" they open, not "how far" they open.

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thx for the responses. Truly appreciated.