Getting tired of the same ole same ole potato salad, you know the one

Potatos
chunks of egg
mayo/miracle whip
mustard powder/any mustard product
onion
celery
salt, pepper, paprica to taste.

I realize you can throw bacon and pickles in, but am looking for a new recipe.
What is the German style salad, and a creamy vinegeret style ETC

So would you guys please have a look for a "GOOD" recipe for me and post it, even if its just a twist on ^^^that one?

Thanks

Rob

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: Tater salad

You can keep the pickles and the vinegar. I still like the "old fashioned" style....:)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Take the eggs out completely, they give the salad a sulphur like "who farted in the potato salad?" taste.

Use real mayo, I like Hellmans the best.

Use just a little spicey mustard, it doesn't take much.

Celery salt and garlic salt to taste, easy on both of them or it will be too salty.

Chopped onion and celery.

You'll be surprised at how different your potato salad will taste.

It's a simple recipe and I've never had anyone say they didn't care for it, nor does the bowl last long.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

YA, but no.

(that was some funny SH#t though)

"Do you have any aliases?":D

Here's what I usually do. I'd give you measurements, but I don't generally measure unless I'm baking. I call it peppercorn potato salad.

Put a pound of new taters in boiling water. Toss a little pile of black peppercorns with olive oil and roast them at 350 for fifteen minutes or so then set them aside to cool. Mix together mayo (do not under any circumstances use Miracle Whip), apple cider vinager, dijon, sugar, salt, basil (fresh is nice if you have it, but dried is okay), and finally chopped purple onion. Once the taters are done drain and immediately put in an ice bath. While they cool put the peppercorns in a heavy duty ziplock bag and smack 'em with a meat mallet just until they're very coarse. You want to know they're in there. Dump them and the taters into a big bowl and toss with the dressing and onions, then mash it a little at a time until it reaches the consistency you want.

Tempelton

Cadet

Well one thing i do differently is using a central ny thing called salt potatos. Which involves cooking new potatos in water with an obscene amount of salt. It gives the potatos a different flavor. I also add a spice mixture called Buck Seasoning. I have also baked the potatos before making the salad.

German style is potatos, onions, bacon, vinegar, sugar and fennel seed. not sure of the ratios, but it best served warm.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

"Do you have any aliases?":D

Here's what I usually do. I'd give you measurements, but I don't generally measure unless I'm baking. I call it peppercorn potato salad.

Put a pound of new taters in boiling water. Toss a little pile of black peppercorns with olive oil and roast them at 350 for fifteen minutes or so then set them aside to cool. Mix together mayo (do not under any circumstances use Miracle Whip), apple cider vinager, dijon, sugar, salt, basil (fresh is nice if you have it, but dried is okay), and finally chopped purple onion. Once the taters are done drain and immediately put in an ice bath. While they cool put the peppercorns in a heavy duty ziplock bag and smack 'em with a meat mallet just until they're very coarse. You want to know they're in there. Dump them and the taters into a big bowl and toss with the dressing and onions, then mash it a little at a time until it reaches the consistency you want.

I have been called a variaty of things over the years, but no aliases! ;) :D

As for the pepper corns, just a coating of oil then bake??
(this almost reminds me of a spinich salad dressing I had once, love the basil especialy the Thai basil)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I have been called a variaty of things over the years, but no aliases! ;) :D

As for the pepper corns, just a coating of oil then bake??
(this almost reminds me of a spinich salad dressing I had once, love the basil especialy the Thai basil)

Yep. Just toss them with a little oil and in they go. That little bit of roasting along with the olive oil really brings out their fruitiness.

Supposedly a cop Ron White grew up with asked him about the aliases and that's where "Tater Salad" came from.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Yep. Just toss them with a little oil and in they go. That little bit of roasting along with the olive oil really brings out their fruitiness.

Supposedly a cop Ron White grew up with asked him about the aliases and that's where "Tater Salad" came from.

Gotcha on the pepper corns.
It was a real treat watching Ron and the other 4 guys put on that show (video tape at the time)

Funny thing was not one real cuss I detected maybe some uendo (sp), class acts all.
But you look at those gentlemans background, highly educated (or at least 2) :D

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Gotcha on the pepper corns.
It was a real treat watching Ron and the other 4 guys put on that show (video tape at the time)

Funny thing was not one real cuss I detected maybe some uendo (sp), class acts all.
But you look at those gentlemans background, highly educated (or at least 2) :D

To me the comic arts are among the most cerebral. Guess that's why so few do them well.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Their are guys like robin williams and johnathon winters whos brains work so fast at adlib you can't believe what comes out of their mouths.
Funny you should say that, I have had a couple friends/accantances that when things got going we would feed of each others comments
And when my/his words/sentances came out were spectacular.

kfa4303

Banned

German potato salad is awesome. One yummy version is to cut Red Potatoes into 1/4" slices, boil them, then strain. While the potatoes are still hot (very important) toss in the vinaigrette of your choice. The more viegary the better, if you ask me. You can also add some fresh dill, thinly sliced red onion along with any other herbs you like. Lots of folks add bacon as well. Salt and pepper to taste, let sit for at least 30 min in fridge, or overnight if you have the will power.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Half the Hellman's that you would normally use. Replace the other half with sour cream. Coarse ground black pepper (lots). Relish, minced onions, celery, lots of grated sharp cheddar cheese, bacon crumbled. We call this baked potato salad.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Love Of My Life (German) and her daughters make the best potato salad in the Universe, hot or cold.

I don't know their recipe, so I can't reveal it. Nyah nyah. :)

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

This recipe is from an old better homes and gardens cook book that was passed down from my German grandma. This is in no way like the traditional style potato salad. It has a delicious taste of it's own and is one of my favorites.

German Potato Salad
1/2 pound bacon (10-12 slices)
1/2 pound chopped onion
2 tbs. all purpose flour
2 tbs. sugar
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp.celery seed
1/2 cup vinegar
6 cups sliced cooked potatoes
2 hard boiled eggs sliced
(optional)
Parsley and pimiento
Bacon curls

Cook bacon till crisp; drain and crumble. reserving 1/4 cup fat.
Cook onion in reserved fat till tender. Blend in flower, sugar, salt, celery seed, and a dash of pepper; add vinegar and 1 cup water; cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Add bacon, potatoes, and eggs; heat thoroughly, tossing lightly. Garnish with parsley, pimiento, and bacon curls. Serves 8 to 10.