Installing bearing housing, is this right?

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class
As per Clymer it reads coat everything (bearing housing O rings, and the whole housing) with OMC gasket sealing compound (see pics) Is this correct? If I can't find the OMC stuff, what is the best stuff to use. (Thank you) Remember, I may want to (or have to that is) take this apart again).

2012-08-02171149.jpg

2012-08-02171206-1.jpg

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Installing bearing housing, is this right?

Use Permatex Aviation gasket sealer. Available at NAPA and most places that sell permatex products like the red and blue form-a-gasket stuff.

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use Permatex Aviation gasket sealer. Available at NAPA and most places that sell permatex products like the red and blue form-a-gasket stuff.

Awesome, thank you.... And do just like this reads? Cover the whole housing? I can't find a back up online reading what my crappy old Clymer.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Since you are in salt water I would coat everything.

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since you are in salt water I would coat everything.

In my mind, I'm trying to picture the outdrive running in the water. Where the water goes, and shouldn't, where the gear oil goes and shouldn't. My last bearing housing was ate up by salt crystals (well it looked like it anyway) and I'm all for preventative maintenance, so thank you!

On the above note.. Looking at the large anode that screws under the shifter rod.. that doesn't look water tight. There were no signs of water in there though. (its been a long long day here) but is there an animation of cut away that you know of that shows this system running?

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

that whole area is wet. And it is also where the exhaust flows.The only dry place is the drive shaft, and the cable side of the shift bellcrank.