How much is this motor worth? How do you find out?

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at a 1998 Johnson 90 and I'm trying to figure out what it's worth. I just looked at NADA's site and it valued the average retail at about $1000. That seems really low. If I try to find others for sale through want ads, they're mostly around $3000.

Is there another site I should be looking at to get the going value or is $1k a fair price???

Thanks for your help.

emoney

Commander
Re: How much is this motor worth? How do you find out?

Your best bet is use sites like Ebay and Craigslist or boattrader and try and find similar models that have actually sold. Sometimes the "books" are way off on what true market price is. Remember, all "Value Guides", such as NADA, just use a standard % of depreciation and when boats/motors get to a certain age, then that number is no longer valid. I know this much, if someone priced a '98 Johnson 90 for 1k around these parts it wouldn't last the day. Although, I'm not so sure it's worth $3k either. If I were shopping, at least where I live, I'd expect to pay somewhere in the 1500-2000 range, assuming it's a nice engine. Now, if it was over the 3 digit # in horsepower (130hp for example), then we'd be definitely talking 3k-ish.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How much is this motor worth? How do you find out?

emoney has good advice. . . for July/August in Florida. The market in outboards varies a great deal with season and location, so don't lock in on a number without local info.

You don't say where you are. It matters. Here in N. Texas $1K would be a good price for a sound, fresh water, 1998 Johnny 90 with PT&T. $1.5K wouldn't be too much.