Hoping to add a new horse to the stable!

Tagerman

Seaman
Gentlemen in my marina has a 1990 Carver 30' Santego he is trying to sell for $11000. The boat is immaculate inside and out having been shrink wrapped and dry stored since 2006. Here is the problem. I looked at the boat yesterday and it does not run. It has twin merc 5.7l that were replaced in 2002 and shown on his 2006 survey to be in perfect working order but having been started in 6 years. The boat was winterized and fuel drained before he stored it but now that all the fluids and everything have been put back it will not even try to start (with fresh fuel). I loooooooove these boats and their layout. What do you guys think? Are Santego's good boats? Is this price fair for it even though it doesn't run? He has it listed for 15000 the 11000 is a friend price or so he says. The survey on her was an A+ when she was stored.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Hoping to add a new horse to the stable!

carbs will mots likely need to be rebuilt. I would also change the fuel pumps because the diaphragms may be bad.

you need fuel plus spark plus compression to get any motor to run.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Average retail is under 11K and yes it will need substantial time consuming work, carbs, inspecting everything, was there fuel left in the tanks at all :eek: I just see an easy grand to get it rolling (floating) again

Tagerman

Seaman

I'm a mechanic so rebuilding the carbs and all that stuff is not a big problem. I just feel like maybe 11k is too high for a boat that is just a floating house. I've seen these things online listed as high as $35000 but who knows if they sell that high. I love this boat's layout and look but I'm thinking maybe I could do better for the money.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't even think about it unless the marina got it running. I'll bet they will jump on it knowing that they have a potential sale.

Tagerman

Seaman

I'm going tomorrow to see if I can strike a deal on it if they get it running!