1986 Alpha One Gen One Mercruiser-Shifter Fine Tuning?

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice
Mercruiser Engine A681121, Sterndrive, A693535. Just replaced the following: Gimbal Bearing, three bellows, water hose, shift cable, shift shaft bushings, upper -(New Style), and lower, Water pump, trim sensors. No major issues with repairs and reassembly..yet. Boat has not been in water since repairs due to shifting problems.

Shifting problem is what I consider excessive grinding of clutch dog when shifting into reverse.

All testing done out of water with boat on trailer with ear muffs on lower unit for water.

Forward shift is smooth and with limited grinding. Reverse shifting grinds substantially before engaging gear. Speed of shift does not seem to matter to reduce grinding. Remote shift cable adjustment for throw is right on at 3", no excessive slop. Remote shift cable Barrel adjusted for 4 turns from end of shift slide after alignment. Shifting occurs before throttle accelerator is moved as it should be in forward gear, in reverse gear it stops grinding and engages the reverse gear very close to the throttle being accelerated.

New drive shift cable cut to 1 3/8" eaxctly as per service manual. Shiftt cable Barrel C/L to shift guide mouting hole C/L is exactly 6" as per service manual.
I have not adjusted the shift lever stud, it is at the bottom of the slot. The shift lever mount is plastic not metal.

I would like to know what amount of shift "grinding" is normal? Does having the boat out of water make the shifting noise more pronounced than in the water?? and if there is any adjustment or alignment procedures to fine tune the shifting to minimize the grinding?

Thank you in advance for any assistance in getting my shifter in gear again.

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1986 Alpha One Gen One Mercruiser-Shifter Fine Tuning?

Hello BT Doctur,
Thank you for your quick response to my issue.
I do not know how to insert a link for your review, however if you look at Mercruiser Service Manual 90-12934-2,1097, Transom Assembly Page 4B-35 You will see where I got the directions to cut the shift cable.

If this information has been superceeded, how would I know where to find the latest Mercruiser information for my Alpha One Gen One?
Thank you again for your help.

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Stonyloam,
Thank you for your quick reply to my shifting issue.
I have used all of the procedures you provided the link to multiple times with no success. With the exception of adjusting the stud in step 12 as the slot for adjustment is very limited. I do have the shift assist installed on my unit and the pressure feels to me to be correct, about 20 lbs.

I am looking for any additional steps to make the shift adjustment to minimize the grinding in the reverse shifting.
Thanks again for your help

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The procedures Terry posted are for an Alpha I Gen II, which you don't have. You have an Alpha I.
Give these procedures a try, if you go step by step through the procedures and both cables are in good shape, then things will work fine.

View attachment A1 Shift Cable Adjust.pdf

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

4B-35 references using the old style shift cable core. the newer cables are not cut to size, they already come the correct length.
you may have ruined the new cable core by cutting to the old style dimenstion.
did you install a support tube on the core?

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Don S,

Your instructions worked!! It specifically was step 16 in the procedure that you sent that made the difference.

THANK YOU and thanks to all the iBoaters who provided thier suggestions and assistance.

The procedure you provided is one I had done several times, but I did not adjust the shift stud, and I still had the reverse grinding.
This time I went through the procedure steps to step 15. I still had the grinding when shifting to reverse.

I then adjusted the stud, step 16, on the shift linkage to the full up position and the shifting for both Forward and Reverse are working the same with what I consider to be a minimum of clutch dog grinding.

Any suggestions for eliminating the grinding entirely or is a small amout of clutch dog grinding when shifting "Normal"?

When the boat is in the water, I probably could not hear it grind when I shift.

How can I be sure I am using the "Latest" Mercruiser service manual for my unit? Cutting the cable per the manual was a guess as I could not find anything to confirm it was for my unit. The new cable specifically stated it was already "Cut to Length".

Thank you again for your support!
Regards,
Greg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Manual #6 is the latest one i know of. the alpha grinding is normal .you need to shift frimly and briskly and you will be ok.

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Bt Doctur,

Thank you again for your support. I appreciate your response to my question regarding the grinding, a little bit is normal, and the latest Service Manual #6 for my Alpha One Gen One.

I have had Mercruiser Alpha Ones for the past 26 years, 190 4Winns and Now a Wellcraft 220 Elite and never had any issues with shifting and I can say I never paid much attention to the shifting sounds, it just worked.

I now have an issue with my remote control, Quicksilver Commander side mount. All functions work okay but the handle is very loose in the mount,side to side, and the mount screws appear to be solid behind the bezel cover. I will wait until fall to do any further work on the boat. Time to get in back in the water.

Greg

Don S

Along with shifting briskly and firmly into gear, having the idle set too high can also cause your problem. Get the idle down 650-700 rpm in the water in fwd gear. That should stop the ratcheting.
Post a picture of your remote control, it may just be an external fix.

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Don S,
Thank you for your suggestion on the RPM's. Idle, not in gear, is about 700 on the boat Tach.

I will check it again in forward when I launch and adjust per your direction if required.

Thank you also for the look see at my remote control to see if there may be an adjustment to fix the side to side play. This is my first post with attachments so I hope the pixs come through okay. I have two of them for your review.

Regards,

Greg

Attachments

• P8060002.jpg
    P8060002.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 4
  • P8060005.jpg
    P8060005.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 3

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Don S,

I posted the pix for my Quicksilver Remote Control as you requested.

Please let me know if I can adjust the unit to reduce or eliminate the side paly.
Thank you again for your help.
Greg

Don S

There is a set screw that could be loose in the bottom of the handle (Green arrow). Might check to see if it's tight. if secure, the bushings are probably worn out.

Untitled2.jpg

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Don S,

Your set screw adjustment was right on.

It was loose and once retightened the handle now works as new.

Thank you again for your insight, time and assistance with all iBoaters!

Maxness

Recruit

Guys, I know this is an old thread, but you danced around an issue of mine, that I thought you might help out with. I have a throttle cable end guide that is broken. part number 43433 as seen in the photo. I have the replacement part, but I don't know if I can replace the part or not.......does it come apart? Seems like the end guide is molded around the cable? I have a $13 dollar part to replace, but looks like I'll have to replace the entire throttle cable.

this is a 1987 Regal Medallion with a Merc 4.3 v6 175.

Can you shine some light?
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• endguide.pdf
    1.2 KB · Views: 2

Don S

Just start a new thread of your own Maxness. Just like the red bar at the bottom of this old thread suggested.

attachment.php

Maxness

Recruit

Well, I did. Just didn't get any responses. I knew the folks involved in this thread would be familiar with the parts. Hate to piggy back on a thread, but need help. Any ideas?

Don S

Then you should bump your original thread back to the top. Maybe add a picture of your broken part. Not everyone can ID a part by the part number.