98 Johnson Trim/tilt not working

Davidwrsmith

Recruit
98 Johnson j200txecm the trim or tilt is not working. I bought this moror about a week ago and hung it on the transom. I straight wired the motor(blue to hot green to ground) to raise the motor to trailer it. I then lowered the motor(reversed polarity) to put the motor on the rest. I brought the boat home and have started working on it installing controls and wiring and now the trim/tilt will not work on the motor switch or control switch. And now I cant even straight wire the motor!!! When I press the down button the relay will click. Up button nothing. I replaced both relays and nothing, checked fuse and its fine. I cant imagine the trim guage switch having anything to do with it...There is some kind of switch or sensor under the motor housing above the trim motor behind the steering arm...it has 2 blue wires going into it...what is this and does it have anything to do with my problem. I am very mechanically inclined and able to troubleshoot electrical items. i cant figure out why the motor wont work when straight wired. The t/t motor ohms out fine and is not grounded.

HELP!!!!!!

This is the ONLY thing keeping me off the water!!

Thanks,
David

Davidwrsmith

Recruit
Re: 98 Johnson Trim/tilt not working

and what would be a good compression number. I know equal pressure between all cylinders is most important but whats a good number to see?

Thanks again,
David

boobie

Supreme Mariner

On that mtr the compression should be about 80-100 psi. Give the tilt mtr a few raps with a small hammer and and see if it works. It may have a stuck brush in it.

rmobbs

Cadet

my neighbor had this issue. boat sat for 6 years without the tilt motor being operated. had to take tilt motor off take apart and cleaned it. put back together and it worked great. took a long time to bleed the air out. it took us all day.

Davidwrsmith

Recruit

Thanks Boobie!!! Tapped the motor a couple times and it trimmed down with the switch! Unfortunatly it still will not trim up. I did straight wire the motor and was able to raise and lower the motor. So I guess I can trace wires now that the motor is back to working in one direction...any other ideas? And are there brushes available to replace them?

Thanks,
David

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You might be able to get the brushes right here on I-Boats. If not, try any BRP Dealer. Next thing to do is check all the connections in the t/t relay box.