johnson 150

wayne nicol

Cadet
i have been offered a 1994 johnson 150"commercial" carbureted V6 looper.
are these good solid units.
the reverse on this one is giving problems and i was told it will probably need a new "dog clutch"
i realise this is some work, but this might be a great project motor for me to learn a bunch on.
other than that, the motor has been really well looked after- stored indoors and was fooged when taken off the boat- he just bought a new motor instead
thanks
wayne

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 150

If it was me I'd look for something else unlesss you can " steal" it for the right price. Sellers will always tell fibs.

wayne nicol

Cadet

its kinda for free- gonna trade him some stuff- maybe worth about a 100 $
i geuss they are pretty heavy on gas, i looked at this one today- and it looks well looked after.
but i will certianally heed your advice
thanks
wayne

laderwell

Cadet

I would for that price, be sure to get the model number and get a only O.EM. Manual, which
gives a detailed step by step procedure for your motor. The lower end takes special OMC tools
to breakdown the Lower end. Just something to consider

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Wayne, If it is a 60* looper (and I think it is), they are real good motors. You may be able to adjust the shift rod height and fix that reverse issue.

wayne nicol

Cadet

how would i know if it is a 60* looper( what does the "looper" mean?).
and how would the shift rod adjustment solve the issue. that would be great if it was just an adjustment thing
thanks wayne

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Wayne, looper means the motor is loop charged. It is a particular design for a 2 cycle motor, and it is considered the latest and best design. 60* refers to the distance between the cylinder banks. If the cover to the motor is rectangular, it is a 60* motor. if the cover is wedge-shaped, the motor is a 90* design. I think the 60* motors are superb.

You said reverse gear has a problem. If someone messed around with the shift shaft length adjustment, that could be causing it, and it could be fixable. Of course it could also be not fixable in this manner.

wayne nicol

Cadet

thanks for the reply chris. good info.
it has "commercial" label on the housing.
will see if i can find a pic of it. gonna pick it up next week.
even if it needs real work- gonna do it myself- slowly- and learn- will be a nice project motor to swap with my 1987 110 johnson on my boat right now- or maybe i will have to scrounge up another boat to put it on. after all a man cant have too many boats!!!
thanks
wayne