help with a 7.5 sears ted williams

pizzaman

Cadet
does anyone out there know how to change the water pump and impeller in this motor its a 1967 the motor starts but does not pump water i was also told there were 2 water pumps on this motor does anyone know if that is true also does anyone know where i could get a manual for this motor any help would be great thanks

pizzaman

Cadet
Re: help with a 7.5 sears ted williams

so does no body know how to do this any help on even where to start i know you pull the two bolts and disconnect the lower unit but thats it

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Just out of curiosity, have you looked up the model number for your engine at Searspartsdirect.com? There should be part info with exploded diagrams that may help to show you how the motor goes together.

pizzaman

Cadet

i have their system doesnt reconize my model # any more i have even called the sears repair and parts and that is what i was told

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

sounds like a Mcculloch 7.5 - second impeller the bilge pump
lots of manuals on eBay usually

does anyone out there know how to change the water pump and impeller in this motor its a 1967 the motor starts but does not pump water i was also told there were 2 water pumps on this motor does anyone know if that is true also does anyone know where i could get a manual for this motor any help would be great thanks

There is only 1 water pump located in the bottom of the "exhaust leg". There are a number of repair manuals available on ebay. Also look at the schematic for an ESKA outboard. They built the "GameFisher" outboards for Sears & Roebuck. You can test the pump by conecting the drive shaft to a drill and submerging the prop hub into a 5 gal. bucket of water. The water pump only works when the motor is in gear and throttled up. When in nuetral and ideling, the pump does not give a "tell tale" stream. The water should NOT be hot. If it is, it is NOT circulating. Good luck !

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

I think it's just clutch models that only pump water while under way. Positive shift and direct drive ones move water all the time, and it's just a mist. If you're used to a solid stream, it'll scare ya to death.

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm inclined to agree with Howard Sterndrive: Judging by the model year, your Sears outboard was made by McCulloch - which DOES have two water pump impellers. Low profile? Swept-back "weedless" lower unit? Single transom clamp? A nipple with barbs protruding out the port side?

7.5HP McCulloch

I happen to own one, as well as it's somewhat rare big brother - an electric start 9HP.

From what I've read, you have your work cut out for you. In order to access the water pump impellers, you have to remove the powerhead. <--A SERIOUS vocabulary lesson!

McCulloch water pump impellers

pizzaman

Cadet

so its not like other outboards where you drop the lower unit to access the water pump housing

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I stand corrected!
Maybe.
I downloaded & printed out the service manual for 7.5 & 9HP McCullochs: http://search.ebscohost.com/
login: marshal
PW: public

Go to: Small Engine Repair > Marine/Boat Motors > McCulloch > select either the 7.5HP or the 9HP and you'll get a PDF for BOTH.

In reading, the instructions for water pump replacement describe ONLY dropping the lower unit.
There's also a list of model/SNs that can help you pin down the vintage of your outboard.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

I just went through a McCulloch 7.5, probably the same motor. It's not too terrible to work on, other than the usual screws that can't be reached (slot head screws no less). Definitely print out the service manual and get an overhaul kit for the carb/fuel pump and at least one impeller because you won't want to pull it apart again any time soon. The carb on mine looked okay but the fuel pump diaphragm was stiff and wouldn't work at all.

Also make sure you know how to remove the flywheel without damaging it; a harmonic balancer puller is cheap at any auto parts store. My motor had a damaged flywheel when I bought it, someone tried to pry it off or use a gear puller - fortunately I was able to find a replacement.

View attachment 177966

There should be a tag on the bottom of the carburetor, make sure you get the correct kit. You should be able to see the tag before pulling the motor - mine is a SUM-20.

View attachment 177962

If you have a "weedless" drive you need to pull the powerhead to get to the water pump, and you always need to pull it to get to the carburetor. Notice the carb tucked down in there on the left side where you can't reach it?

View attachment 177963

Once you disconnect the shifter, throttle linkage, stop button, and choke you can fight with the screws that hold the powerhead on and the gasket underneath that's probably stuck.

View attachment 177964

Then you can see the water pump, but you need to pull the gear case off the lower unit to replace it. The bail-o-matic pump is on top, visible here. The main water pump is under that plate.

View attachment 177965

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a sidenote: carb removal... It CAN be removed without pulling the powerhead. My experience has been that the hang-up is encountered because the reed box is stuck to the carb - and they won't come out as a single unit. I used a putty knife to separate 'em.
You'll need a starter screwdriver to get the carb in and out: Quick Wedge Screwdriver / Screw Starter