Need info on replacing cracked 5.0 GL PBYC block and want to upgrade for more power.

evrk1

Cadet
Hello I'm new to this forum, so I'll apologize in advance if I mess something up. I just bought a project boat - a 1999Larson SEI206 BR. The current engine and manifolds are cracked. It runs but thats it. Also electric fuel pump doesnt work. So i would like to swap out the engine, and I'm thinking of going to a 5.7 (350) to get a little more power. I've heard that I can use a GM truck motor - 4 bolt mains and swap all the components from the 305 to it. I'm not sure what year engines I can use, and what about carburation.I'm looking for any input as i only want to do this once. Do I have to remove the stern drive unit to pull the engine? Lots of questions - need help with answers. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need info on replacing cracked 5.0 GL PBYC block and want to upgrade for more pow

Hello I'm new to this forum, so I'll apologize in advance if I mess something up. I just bought a project boat - a 1999Larson SEI206 BR. The current engine and manifolds are cracked. It runs but thats it. Also electric fuel pump doesnt work. So i would like to swap out the engine, and I'm thinking of going to a 5.7 (350) to get a little more power. I've heard that I can use a GM truck motor - 4 bolt mains and swap all the components from the 305 to it. I'm not sure what year engines I can use, and what about carburation.I'm looking for any input as i only want to do this once. Do I have to remove the stern drive unit to pull the engine? Lots of questions - need help with answers. Thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....
Yes, the drives comes off, before ya pull the motor...
The motor is aligned to the transom, 'n the drive reinstalled...

You want a truck 350 from 1996 to current production...

What have ya got now for induction,..?? 2bbl. carb,..??
Get a Vortec compatible 4bbl. intake, 'n whatever Marine carb ya wanta put on it,...
I think Volvo runs Holleys,...
Merc's carb is a carbon copy of the Edlebrock performer carbs...

The 4 bolt mains are optional, 'n generally unnecessary...

bobvonryan

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need info on replacing cracked 5.0 GL PBYC block and want to upgrade for more pow

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....
Yes, the drives comes off, before ya pull the motor...
The motor is aligned to the transom, 'n the drive reinstalled...

You want a truck 350 from 1996 to current production...

What have ya got now for induction,..?? 2bbl. carb,..??
Get a Vortec compatible 4bbl. intake, 'n whatever Marine carb ya wanta put on it,...
I think Volvo runs Holleys,...
Merc's carb is a carbon copy of the Edlebrock performer carbs...

The 4 bolt mains are optional, 'n generally unnecessary...

Try 1800 Runsnew for new and rebult motors.