Rust in cooling system

tarheelgwb

Cadet
is it normal to see some rust particles in the cooling system? i have a 5.0GXi-G, sea-water cooled motor. the other day i removed the main hose from the seawater pump at the thermostat and noticed some rust particles that fell out when i drained the hose in the bilge. makes me wonder if there is rust other places like in the engine?:mad:

had the boat 2 weeks. perhaps the prev owner didnt winterize and drain the water? do i have a big problem?

any help is appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Rust in cooling system

is it normal to see some rust particles in the cooling system? i have a 5.0GXi-G, sea-water cooled motor. the other day i removed the main hose from the seawater pump at the thermostat and noticed some rust particles that fell out when i drained the hose in the bilge. makes me wonder if there is rust other places like in the engine?:mad:

had the boat 2 weeks. perhaps the prev owner didnt winterize and drain the water? do i have a big problem?

any help is appreciated.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Completely normal...

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rust in cooling system

Is this where using a little antifreeze (RV, with additives) after engine has been warmed up (stat open) would be a good idea (using raised hose/funnel method), and then drain to get out all the water/light AF mix.

Looks like reviews of any type of coolant additive corrosion preventive/ water wetter - has mixed reviews and possible 'issues'