Johnson 115 Use Cables From 175

Rags009

Recruit
I am new to the forum and need some guidance. I am looking to purchase a boat that has no engine, but has the steering, shift and tilt cables for a 1982 175 HP Johnson. If I buy an old 115 Johnson, will they be compatible? How hard is it to rig? Do I need to have a professional do it? I also don't believe the boat has any gauges (RPM, Oil, Temp, etc...).

Thanks in advance...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 115 Use Cables From 175

The shift and throttle cables are always interchanable.

The main electrical plug connection at the engine is color coded.... black, red, yellow, whatever. They must match...... if the control plug is red, the engine plug must be red.

Steering.... compatability unknown but usually there is no problem.

The hookup doesn't require rocket science mentality. Keep in touch with your progress.

Rags009

Recruit

Thanks so much for the quick response...

I will check the color of the main electrical plug on there now. Does that include the overheat alarm and tilt? If I want to also add a tack does it just plug in to the control box or the engine? Any other gauges that are a must?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

A tachometer connects to the gray wire on the control box and some have an exterior plug (depends on the vintage) and yes if the plugs match then everything should work as long as it works from the sensors in the motor.

A tach is about it for gauges on a 2 stroke but you could hook up water pressure but that is a seperate senoson, wires and gauge that is not standard and not in the harness.

Rags009

Recruit

Awesome! Thanks...

I think I may give this a go as long as I can find a decent 115 HP for a reasonable price. If anyone has any other info or suggestions it is much appreciated.