115 HP Mercury

mwozniak1

Recruit
I have a 115 HP Mercury and it falls somewhere between 1974-1978 and I can find out for sure if the exact year is needed. It is a 6 cyl 2 stroke and I am having some running problems. When I first got this engine 3 years ago I hooked it up to water and it ran great. No knocks or ticks. As soon as we put it in the water and put it under a load it would start to die unless I kept pumping fuel to the engine using the primer bulb. I shut the engine off and took the cover off and engaged the throttle and I noticed that the carbs were not opening to their full potential. My question is do I have a fuel problem, a carb problem, or both. I know the timing advances with more throttle and I was wondering since the carbs were not opening all the way was the engine starving for fuel or is the pump to weak to give it the necessary fuel? Any leads or ideas would be great.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 115 HP Mercury

You need a fuel pump rebuild kit. (screens in the fuel pump and or carbs could be plugged) Probably carb rebuilds to and new fuel hoses inside the engine at the least. Carbs not opening completely could just be a simple throttle cable adjustment.

mwozniak1

Recruit

Thank you for the quick response! I have read some other forums and from what it sounds like the fuel pump is the problem. Thanks again!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the throttle plates are not opening fully (they will sit perfectly horizontal in the carb bore, you need to do a link & sync which is a lengthy procedure and you need a service manual for that. Just make sure you are looking at the inner "throttle" plates and not the "choke" plates the entrance to the carbs. You do the link & sync first and the final step in the process is to adjust the throttle and shift cables.

mwozniak1

Recruit

The serial number is 4237834 and I think that puts it at a 1975 and if anyone can verify that would be great. Secondly if anyone can help me locate a set of throttle cables are a part # or really anything to go off of that would be greatly appreciated. Once again thank you for the quick responses.