1988 4 HP Primer Pump - how use? Start, etc...

pinggene

Recruit
Just got an E4RCCS. Came with no manual. Having trouble starting it. What is the sequence? How does one use the primer pump? What way should it be turned (seems like it shuts off the gas as well...at least that is what the diagram says) Lastly, is the knob to the right that has a diagram with larger space straight up and tapers to a point when it is turned down...is this the "richness" knob? Sorry for the wrong terminology.

Thanks,

Gene
Vashon, WA

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1988 4 HP Primer Pump - how use? Start, etc...

We are all learning on this site. I used to call the lower unit the leg. Sorry I don't know what your 4 hp looks like so hard to answer your question but here is a web site that will show you all your engines parts and names. If it only has one knob then more than likely it your slow speed adjustment. Turn it all the way in until it seats lightly and then open it 1 1/2 turns (counter clockwise) It should start up at that position. In the long run an original OMC service manual for your make and model is well worth the purchase price for you. Lots of really good information. I can almost always get the ones I need on EBay. Best of luck. Rick.
http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Pub...ang=E&s1=cdb5bbaf-a4d3-4d78-b140-a8e2e2efa43f