Replacement speaker help

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
With the help of the members of the forum, I recently upgraded my radio to the Clarion M109 http://www.clarion.com/us/en/produc...nits/M109/us-en-product-pf_1259392721061.html & would like to now upgrade my speakers. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to electronics, so bear with me. The pontoon has 4 speakers in it. What size (watts) of speakers can I get for quality sound? How do I measure the speakers to know what size to replace them with? What is a good quality brand speaker? Any other helpful information is greatly appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Replacement speaker help

your clarion head unit is good for 50 watts per channel.

I have had good luck paring clarion marine speakers with clarion head units.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

+1. Clarion has served me well. Reasonably priced and good quality. There aren't really that many sizes and shapes for marine speakers until you start talking about the ones for wake towers, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting the wrong ones. Like Scott says, just pick out some decent Clarion marines and get after it. How's the motor?

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys! Incoop....i just made a post on the Johnson/Evinrude board. Took boat to reputible deal in another state & as a result of a leakdown test, the #1 cylinder was showing 18%, so I am afraid I have a bad cylinder & only running on 3.

rogerwa

Commander

FYI, I just purchased and installed a Clarion CMS1 unit and paired it with a set of Infinity Marine 6x9 speakers.

These - http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Refe...5790&sr=8-4&keywords=infinity+speakers+marine

I couldn't be happier. Very simple install and the sound is great. Has very nice bass and just two speakers with the 50watt amp is plenty for my 25' toon. I plan on putting another pair upfront just for better distribuiton as a lower volume. But I could not recomment these more..

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am a little bit of an audiophile and certainly appreciate my music. Keep in mind that most speakers you see around these days are int he 5 to 5 1/4 inch range. They are very popular in boats and in cars. Unfortunately, the bass response on them is not good at all. I suspect that Rogerwa sounds a lot better as he is using 6x9's which have much better bass response. However, many of us do not have room for speakers that large or dop not want to cut out larger holes.

The fix for this is a proper sub woofer. This does not mean that you will get boom boom boom, but rather that a sub with the correct cross overs will pull the lows from the 5 inchers so that the mids and highs sound better while at the same time improving your bass.

If your new Clarion head has a feed for a powered sub, then you are all set....just need the sub. If not, then it is a bit more work.

So if after upgrading your speakers you are still not happy, then you might want to consider a sub.

rogerwa

Commander

When I was doing my planning for the stereo i was planning to put a powered sub under the console, but with the performance I am getting from these 6x9's i don't see any need. I did opt for the 6x9's because of the better bass repsonse. The ones I listed above also come in a 6.5 round variety as well. they are very nice and look cool.

The benefit of going with one of the clarion options though is that you can get LED grills for them. See here - http://www.clarion.com/us/en/produc...s/CML1600/us-en-product-pf_1259559425399.html