New to boats

RMOORE1977

Recruit
I just recently purchased a 1990 Four Winns Freedom 150. It is a very clean boat that has never had much use. I am having a starting problem. I have power at the top of the solenoid, but no where else. If I jump power to the starter it will crank very strong, but still will not run. A friend said possibly the "trigger coil" is bad. I'm not sure. I am lost. I enjoy repairing things myself that way I know how they work. If anyone has any suggestions please respond. The motor is a 1990 Evinrude 60hp outboard. Thank you very much for any comments.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: New to boats

Do you have power to the ignition switch? There should be a main fuse in the system that feeds the ignition switch, if it is blown you cannot start it with the key.

RMOORE1977

Recruit

Do you have power to the ignition switch? There should be a main fuse in the system that feeds the ignition switch, if it is blown you cannot start it with the key.

Yes I have power to one side, then I turn the key over and it transfers power to the other side. I have been working on it for a couple of days now. At first I thought it was the solenoid because I'm only getting power on top. A friend of mine said the trigger coil picks up power at the same place and then transfers it to the rest of the coil to power all of the other components. Is this true?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Powering the starter direct is a good test. When jumping/cranking the engine, the ignition should fire on that engine as long as the key is in the "on" position. It is always possible the trigger is bad, but you've got other expensive ignition components which may be weak/defective. The stator and the power pack. All are expensive and should be tested before you outlay $ for any of them. If you are going to troubleshoot this yourself, best to get the original factory service manual: outboardbooks.com. You can also find ignition troubleshooting information at: cdielectronics.com