submerged 5hp 2 stroke in salt water

wineyarders

Seaman Apprentice
5hp 2 stroke got flung off transom at FULL throttle (~10mph) as result of an unexpected and immediate 90 deg turn. So although I'm lucky it didn't knock me out, its now in about 20-40' of SALT water and I'm planning to dive and recover it from my 12' skiff in the morning (~10 hours from now). Please help with advice. From the quick searches I've done it sounds like the procedure is highly proscribed but I don't have a lot of time to search the internet or this forum. From what I've gathered I need to purge the engine with fresh water once recovered (assuming i find it), then drain, and then try and get the thing started. Do I need to pull the carb, drain the gear case oil, pull the power head, brek it open? Any thoughts. I love this engine, please help! Apologies if you see this pop up in another thread.

PeteyD

Seaman Apprentice
Re: submerged 5hp 2 stroke in salt water

Toahatsu or Honda?

This is right from the Nissan owneres manual.. probbly the same for most outboarrds.. not sure what most people though.
Washing it completly with fresh water and soap, removing spark plugs drain all water by pulling the recoil starter several times.. Injecting oil in through the spark plug hole and carb side, and circulate oil through the motor... these are "emergency" measures after this they say take it to the dealer. As i said probbly not what most people do.. but a good start.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: submerged 5hp 2 stroke in salt water

When you find it, rinse complete engine with fresh water. Remove plug, pull cord slowly to check if engine is already seized. If ok, remove carb, mix 1/2 gallon of fuel with 2-3 measures 2 stroke oil, flood cranckcase through carb intake, same with piston chamber, remove lanyard, pull cord several times, repeat procedure, the idea is to wash all interior parts flooded with salt water untill clean. Try to start engine back.

Diluted fuel/oil will penetrate and wash better than squirting pure oil inside. And next time, secure clamps tight facing each other and secure eyes with lock, piece of string, small rope, will never happen again.

Happy Boating