Johnson and Battery

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,

So here is a silly question and I'm guessing this pretty much works just like a car would. I have a Johnson from the 1960's and a battery. Now I have a few questions;

1.) How long would my battery last?

2.) Now does it work just like a car, it is used to fire up the engine and then for spark plugs? mine doesn't have the alternator I'm guessing which is the guy I bought it from talked about that he could install for extra $100.

3.) If I don't have an alternator can't I install one myself as a part?

I just want to make sure that hopping onto the water I won't have a dead engine in 30 minutes to an hour on a fully charged marine battery.

Thank you.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson and Battery

Ooops. Just noticed this is in the wrong topic, can the admin move this and I do apologize.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

So no old outboards have alternators. (need to get into 4 stroke fuel injected to get an alternator, and even then, not always) Outboards have stators that serve a similar purpose, just at a lower output. Also, the battery never runs the spark plugs directly. All engines have a charging system of some sort that runs the plugs. In the case of an outboard, it is a different winding on the stator that is meant just for ignition.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

You would only NEED a battery(for the motor) if it has electric start...If not, it's just there to run lights/accesories/trolling motor.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

What is the model number? Johnson made many motors in the 1960's.....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Catbones, generally speaking, Johnnyrudes from the 60 are magneto ignitions, so no battery voltage is required to operate them. Some V4 motors had battery/coil ignition like a car, of that era. These required generators or alternators. The electric shift motors needed some way to charge the battery, as well. The early 60s motors with a battery charging capability had belt driven generators and mechanical voltage reglators. Later motors had alternators (thery are really magnets+ stators, but we call them alternators).