350 car motor in a 23' bayliner

dallasdean

Cadet
What's the best way for this setup to work. I assume it has a different cam than the factory 305 that came with but I washoping that the in crease in displacement would give me some leeway to keep the rpms lower in conjunction with a different prop that ihad been using. It was a 14.5x17 3 blade. I average around 5000 lbs when on the wate. Was thinking a out going to a 4 blade maybe around a 20 pitch.
Any advise?

92rslt1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 350 car motor in a 23' bayliner

you need a marine cam to prevent reversion. You will need all the accesorys from the boat including the water pump. You need to make sure things like the freeze plugs are corrosion resistant. My buddy just replaced his bayliner tbi 350 with a car 350 and swapped all the parts over and it works fine. Theres alot of little things you can do to boost it up a little.. like bumping the compression with certain casting 305 heads or changing carbs and intakes. Just depends on how far you really want to take it.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 350 car motor in a 23' bayliner

What's the best way for this setup to work. I assume it has a different cam than the factory 305 that came with but I washoping that the in crease in displacement would give me some leeway to keep the rpms lower in conjunction with a different prop that ihad been using. It was a 14.5x17 3 blade. I average around 5000 lbs when on the wate. Was thinking a out going to a 4 blade maybe around a 20 pitch.
Any advise?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... What, Exactly, are ya startin' with,..??

'n What, Exactly, is this "Car" motor ya got,..??

If the motor ain't already bolted in, 'n Runnin',.....
Yer gettin' Waayyy ahead of yer self with Prop questions,....

'n prop questions get asked in the Prop forum, not here....;)