3.0 GSPHUB won't "run"

new2boatz

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, been reading this forum for a long time and ran into some trouble, so here I am. My brother and I bought a boat with a seized engine, and rebuilt it. When we bought the boat, nothing was hooked up, the motor was just sitting on its supports. Motor broken down, new rings, cylinders honed, head and manifold checked and trued, new gaskets all over, new water pump and this baby was ready to roll. Put her back in the boat, and she would crank but would not start. Got fuel, spark, and compression, and the issue was traced to a cracked starter solenoid. New solenoid, and she spins over like a champ, and will fire, but will not stay running.

We think our issue may be in our switch, which I am going to replace and rewire tomorrow, but I wanted someone else's opinion also. Yesterday, motor would turn over all day long at the key. New solenoid and new, heavier battery wiring today, and the key no longer works. Checked the inline fuse and it is good. When jumping the starter with a long screwdriver, she fires right up, and will run as long as you hold the screwdriver in place. But once you remove the screwdriver, it cuts out. Key is in run position as I'm doing this, so it should run, but does not. Faulty switch?

As I stated in the title, this is a 3.0 GSPHUB, 1995 model with Power steering. Boat also has Volvo SX-CT Drive. I am pretty mechanically minded. I each Volvo service manual available/applicable as shared via "Adult's Only" sticky at top. I have also read the Troubleshooting Guide by Don S., but will re-read it again tonight to verify I have checked everything.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3.0 GSPHUB won't "run"

If you have spark, then it's not a a switch problem.

90% of the time, the problem is the valves and the distributor was set on the exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke.

If you aligned your timing marks on the cam and crank shaft gears, and left it that way assuming that was #1 TDC on the compression stroke, then you assumed wrong.

new2boatz

Seaman Apprentice

So what about the fact that the ignition switch turned it yesterday and doesn't today? Again, it does crank and actually run when jumping the starter, but it dies once you remove the jumper. I'm just at a loss because the key turned it before the new solenoid was installed, it just wouldn't crank. I'll also add that the motor fired good on the shop table, but we killed it quickly because of lack of water.

new2boatz

Seaman Apprentice

Will do Don, going to put a test light on it late this evening, and I will follow up with results

new2boatz

Seaman Apprentice

Alright. Got in there with a test light. Connected to ground at the battery, and put the point on the post switches. Nothing on any of them. I decided to try the light on the hot side also. When I touched the battery and ignition posts, I got a light (makes me think these posts are grounded out). When I hit the start post, engine rolled over. Does this equal a bad ignition switch? Or is my problem elsewhere?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have your test light clip hooked to a good ground as it should be, you should get a light on the red/purple wire at all times, ign. switch on or off. That is normal.
Now, when you turn the key to the run position, you should have a light on the purple wire. when you turn it over to start you should have a light on the yellow/red wire.

new2boatz

Seaman Apprentice

With my test light connected to the negative post on the battery, which is the absolute best ground available, I got no light on any of the post. So, for grins and giggles, I decided to clip my test light to the positive lead on the battery. When I touched the B post + wires, I got light. When I touched the I post + wire, I got light. When I touched the start post, the motor turned over, which is what it should do as the light is simply acting as a jumper. Now, the lights on the BAT and IGN post with test light connected to positive lead have me blaming the switch, but I don't know if I should or not. That leads me to believe that my switch is grounded out. But, this is one thing I don't know about. I'm tempted to buy a new switch and try it, and if it don't work then I just have a new switch. But I really need some help getting to the bottom of this as it just has me puzzled.

new2boatz

Seaman Apprentice

So the results are in. New switch = nothing. I'm thinking I may have to run new wiring. Is this a good assumption?

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With my test light connected to the negative post on the battery, which is the absolute best ground available, I got no light on any of the post. So, for grins and giggles, I decided to clip my test light to the positive lead on the battery. When I touched the B post + wires, I got light. When I touched the I post + wire, I got light. When I touched the start post, the motor turned over, which is what it should do as the light is simply acting as a jumper.

Based on what you said here, I think its a good assumption. With the light as a jumper from the battery to the posts on your switch, you essentially bypassed the original wiring in the boat. If it were me, I'd string a fused wire from the battery to the B+ post on the switch, then operate the switch with the key and see what happens. If that works, you know the problem is between the battery and switch. Trace the original wire before replacing it...you might visibly find the problem or it could be a simple fuse.

new2boatz

Seaman Apprentice

I got the new switch working, it needed a hot wire ran from the battery to the switch. Motor cranks and runs like a top now. I thank everyone for the help you gave me. On to the next problem now. I attached pictures below. While the motor was running, we noticed a leak on the power steering hose. I took the first photo to show how the hoses are connected, and the next photo is of the hoses. I don't know for sure if I have the hoses hooked up to the right places, either. When the motor was only cranking via starter jumper, there was a milky oil-water mix leaking from this hose. In photo two, it is the left hose. In photo one, it is the small rear hose on top of the cooler. The front small hose comes from the power steering pump. The large hose on the bottom goes to the water pump. As I said, I don't know if I have the hoses in the correct places.

One more problem. Before this new switch, my tilt/trim switch worked, but wouldn't raise the drive all the way. I attributed this to low oil, but now, it does not work at all. I'm not sure what to think about this. Any and all help is appreciated greatly.

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

new2boatz

Seaman Apprentice

Just a quick update. The motor runs like a top now, and after filling my tilt/trim pump, it began to work also! But, it has a slow leak where the reservoir meets the motor. Hoping I can seal it off with some gasket maker in the morning. A good wash and wax and this boat will be on the water on Saturday morning! I still am not 100% sure that my plumbing is ran right. Any verification or guidance on that would be great.