Mercruiser 350 Ticking Sound - W/ Video

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have a 1997 Mercruiser 350, that is making a ticking (metal on metal) sound while revving. It also happens while I am underway / under load. It starts happening around 2k RPM and doesn't seem to be rpm dependent or constant.

Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJfbVvaiNyE

It happens between seconds 7-8, 11-16, and 29-31.

This sound is quite disconcerting, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
TJ

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Mercruiser 350 Ticking Sound - W/ Video

Just me and from my experience....... The first thing i would check is the exhaust shutters (Flappers) in the Y pipe...... they are just below the rubber hose that conects the turndown elbow to the Y pipe.

Sometimes you can wiggle and remove the 2 hoses and turndown elbow at one time....

If not then you have to remove the riser elbow off the manifold.... then remove the 2 hoses with your turndown elbow... One thing about doing this you get a chance to check the condition of your risers. Replace gaskets with OEM gaskets...not the green ones......

Just my take on your sound video.

Good Luck!

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruiser 350 Ticking Sound - W/ Video

81 Chechmate,

Thanks for the response. One thing I forgot to mention is that I have thru-hull exhaust. I think I do have exhaust shutters inside the exhaust as well as flappers on the ends of the pipes. I will look at these and see if they could be making this sound. It does sound like it's coming from the top of the engine and is very metal on metal sound. I believe my exhaust shutters are rubber, but they may be held in place by some metal shaft etc....

TJ