Constant Beeping after engine starts - How to test Sensors - 94 Merc 200

boaterdude83

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys - I'm working on our Fire Companies boat. We have a limited amount of money, so were trying to get this boat running for as cheap as possible. Its got a 94 Merc 200 on it - serial 0D224398.

As soon as it starts, the alarm starts going off. I narrowed it down to either the magnetic sensor or the control box. I do not see a water sensor for the fuel. I'm going to check the actual oil pump today but any help would be great. I do not have a manual for this motor. If anyone does, itd be a help to get the process to check the sensors. Thanks guys!

Bart Hawk

Cadet
Re: Constant Beeping after engine starts - How to test Sensors - 94 Merc 200

I had a hot horn go off, I discounected it and carried a food thermoetor and checked to make sure the head wasn't above 170.
(Later replaced the thermostat)

Pull the plugs and make sure they have oil and gas on them, if only one or the other it's fuel or oil if both check running temp.

Not an expert but this worked for me.

boaterdude83

Seaman Apprentice

I pulled an oil line after having the boat running on a mixed tank. No oil. PUlled the pump, and the shaft wasnt spinning. There are alot of plastic shards around the metal oil drive shaft. Big job to change that plastic gear?

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

I pulled an oil line after having the boat running on a mixed tank. No oil. PUlled the pump, and the shaft wasnt spinning. There are alot of plastic shards around the metal oil drive shaft. Big job to change that plastic gear?

Talk about a bummer..it sits on the crank..motor has to be completely torn down....time and gaskets if you can do it yourself...what a shame...

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now that you have diagnosed pump failure, most folks just disable the oiler system (search prvious threads on this for info) and pre-mix the gas and oil at 50:1