Chrysler 5572 55hp generator wiring question with picture

chrisireland

Recruit
To all, wondering if I can get a hand. I have a 5572 Chrysler 55hp, think it's 1967. Just got it. There is a wire not terminated on one end and connected to a purple wire on the other end. Could someone please look at the picture and let me know where the blue wire should be connected in order to charge the battery.
Thanks
gen wire.jpg

Nordin

Commander
Re: Chrysler 5572 55hp generator wiring question with picture

Purple is for indication of charging, not necesery for the charging system. Looks like your engine is a very early one. The system seems to have positive grounding (If the red wire is connected to ground at the rectifirer). The early WestBends (before Chrysler bought WestBend to catch up outboarding) had positive grounding.

Look at maxrules.com -technicalspec.-Chrysler/Force tech.info.-wiring diagrams Chrysler-35-55Hp batteryign. w/alternator. That is the right wiring except for positive grounding. That is negative grounding.

chrisireland

Recruit

Thank you for your response. The time you took is appreaciated. I am going to get in on the water (for the first time under my ownership) this weekend. I will give it a try. If the battery doesn't charge - what part of the engine would I start troubleshooting. Thanks again.

Nordin

Commander

Troubleshot the alternator and rectifirer. Measure with a voltmeter at the primside (alternator side) of the rectifirer.
The voltage shall increase from about 12volt at 800rpm to about 16volt at 3500rpm. The alternator starts to charge at about 900 rpm.