1991 Johnson 115 starting and idle issues ~HELP!!!

pmonsour

Recruit
Desperate and appreciate any ideas!!!

Problem started when I would start the engine ( no problem) would run 5 min then die. have to wait 10 minutes to restart. rebuilt carbs, drained all fuel, new spark plugs and wires, new fuel filter.Checked compression, 110 both on right, 120 both on left. 2 bottles of seafoam on 5 gallons flush for about an hour.

Now if it doesn't start on first try won't start at all. have to wait 30 min before trying again. if it does start, will fire back up. if I let it sit while night fishing won't start when I bring it back to dock.

on top of that when it does fire, I have to keep RPM's up. at idle will try to die, even though RPMs at idle are around 1K

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Johnson 115 starting and idle issues ~HELP!!!

A few things to check. You'll want to check for solid spark on all 4 plugs when cranking. Validate the operation of the fuel primer solenoid (choke.) If the fuel primer is not working, its a bear to start. Once started-since it won't idle normally at low rpm's, possible the idle passages in the carb bodies are not flowing fuel-that means a carb overhaul.