Smoky Crossflow Telltale

skimmabird

Cadet
Hello All,

Here's some info before my question.

The other day I was running my 1989 150 Crossflow and dropped the gears in my lower at about 4000 rpm. I caught the throttle before it shot to the moon and shut it down within a few seconds. It did go well above the normal temp by the guage but didn't seem to get to bad at all, again I shut right down and heard no alarm and the alarm works fine. I assume the plastic woodruff key on the impeller melted or sheared, or the impeller smoked from heat because I have full on water intrusion in the lower, all the BRP HPF is gone. The engine is not circulating water through the engine and could easily peg the temp guage if I wanted to let it idle 1 to 2 minutes even on the muffs. I assume there is a blockage because it will only drip water every three seconds out the telltale barb but it does mist out the relief ports evenly on the muffs. This engine has had very recent stats, poppets, diverters, head gaskets. I pulled all six plugs and have no indication of water intrusion or a lean cylinder. I will be checking compressions when I get my guage back from a friend but haven't yet. There is no obvious reason to think I blew a head gasket, at least under no load which I know can mean nothing. I haven't pulled the lower yet but I just got another decent used lower that seems solid and passed a leakdown test so I am going to swap out the bad lower and put a new water pump assembly and switch shift rods.

My question is about the telltale. It smokes out the telltale the couple seconds that I ran it but seems to idle fine. It's definitely smoke and not steam because it's the same color as the exhaust and lightens after a few seconds just as the exhaust normally does and I premix so it's apparent.

With an impeller failure/ blockage is it normal for some smoke to come out telltale when it doesn't have the water going through or are the chances that I'm going to be digging further? I'm trying to get an idea what I might be dealing with.

Thanks guys.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Smoky Crossflow Telltale

You may have blown the exhaust cover gasket. With gearcase down, attach a hose straight onto the water tube and do a 'test run'.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Smoky Crossflow Telltale

Once the engine starts, a good impeller will push water into the powerhead. Almost immediately water should come out of the telltale. If you have no telltale, likely the pump is not working.