How far in on the bunks?

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boat seems to sit back to far. It hangs over the end of the bunks a couple feet. The straps go under the boat to hook and would only help to keep it from moving back not prevent it from moving forward. It creeps toward the tow vehicle and loosens the straps every time I haul it.

201206022242290d6708dd466d6ef802272d40a8b759b2.regular (1).jpg

If you click on the picture you can see my black holdown straps angled upward and toward the rear of the boat.

Last edited:

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How far in on the bunks?

If the back of your boat is actually hanging off the buks by a couple feet, there is definately something wrong. You need to fix this quickly, as it can and will damage your boat. Think about all the weight og that IO motor hanging off of the back. I can't tell from the pic if you cam move the winch post forward which would move the entire boat forward. Better pic would definately help. I'm also wondering if the trailer is long enough for the boat, maybe it's not the original trailer?? IDK, it's tandem axle. How big is the boat?

Need a little more info and better pics in order to be of much help. Short answer is yes it needs to come forward.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

0731120634.jpg

After measuring, It's more like 13 inches here but it has slid far forward after towing. 2 feet may be an exaggeration because I was guessing.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

View attachment 161528

After measuring, It's more like 13 inches here but it has slid far forward after towing. 2 feet may be an exaggeration because I was guessing.

Bunks should extend past the transom a few inches to support the weight of the engine / outdrive. There is a ton of stress on your transom when it's like what you have. Can you move the boat forward on the trailer? If not, it looks like trailer is a bit too short for boat, if you have proper weight on the tongue.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if its moving forward, your bow stop is not set correct. post a picture of the winch post and bow stop as well.

tpenfield

Staff member

That trailer is all f'd up . . . (sorry)

It looks like the bunks have been cut short . . . therefore they do not extend to the transom. Also, the bow stop looks like it is too low and not providing a hard enough stop. therefore, the trailer easily can ride up on it during travel, etc.

It is all re-workable, so you could make it right.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree with all above. Your trailer is a disaster and needs rerigging from scratch to protect your boat.

1. Move the boat forward enough to get bunks under the transom.
2. Position winch post to stop the boat at that position.
3. Move axle cradle as required to get 7-10% of the total weight on the trailer tongue
4. Arrange a chain & turnbuckle to secure the bow eye directly to the trailer frame.

Good luck, and post a pic to show how it should be rigged. :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

To me it looks like the boat is simply too far back and can be corrected by positioning the boat farther forward by correctly setting up the winch stand/bow stop.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

hanging off 2' is too much. 13" probably won't hurt but since you have to fix other problems, you ought to cut that distance in half. going all the way to the end as suggested is not a bad idea but if it doesn't work (balance) don't worry about a few inches.

With an I/O your weight is more forward; think about an outboard where all the weight is at the transom. Or how about an outboard on an extended transom? and those trailers are rigged without support at the very end

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks to everyone for the good advice.
I plan on:

1. Adjusting my stop so it stops the boat from sliding forward
2. Moving my stop forward 13 inches (because I have the room to)
3. Possibly moving my axles forward 13 inches if I get too much tongue weight. I hear I should have 10% (approx 400 lbs) or about a 2 inch drop in my tow vehicle rear.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

0801121628.jpg

After adjusting the winch forward and down I had this, and 385 lbs tongue weight on this 3900 lb boat. It's staying tight and not sliding forward. That's about right, right? I don't really see a need to move my axles forward too.

cribber

Lieutenant

You're golden with that setup now. No need to move your axle either.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a lot better....just about perfect IMO...10% tongue weight to boot. You could put those bunks completely under the transom with a couple of inch longer ones not cut at an angle. I've not seen those types of bunks before, cut at an angle....interesting.