Volvo outdrive reverse switched to forward

leibin81

Cadet
I have an 86 Eliminator with a 350 Chevy and a Volvo outdrive. The boat has sat since 2001/2 and I finally got it tuned up and ready for the water. On my trial run everything ran fine except the outdrive wouldn't trim up/down unless I was under 10mph. At the end of the day, I was pulling into dock and I pulled it into reverse to slow up, and the boat went forward. Now the prop will only spin freely in the forward direction without the engine running (I don't know if it ever spun freely both ways). The other problem, is with the button that engages the drive pulled out, the prop now spins when I start the engine, in what is supposed to be nuetral, no prop engage.<br />I would appreciate any advice, the trim up/down is the last of my worrries. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo outdrive reverse switched to forward

Which Volvo drive do you have?

leibin81

Cadet

I beleive it is the 290. The information plate has been removed.

Don S

I think the first thing to do is pull the back cover off the drive. (NOT the top cover) there you will find the shift mecanism. See if it moves when you operate the shifter. Could be a broken cable or the linkage is off.<br />Also check the drive oil for water (milky oil).<br />If it's milky, have a look at the ujoint bellows. If water is in there because of a bad bellows, it could cause all your problems.<br />When in gear, the props will spin freely in one direction and stopped in the other. In reverse they spin freely the opposite direction.

leibin81

Cadet

Don S,<br /><br />I pulled the back plate and the cottering pin had fallen out of the connector of the mechanism and the rod that pushes it from nuetral to forward, or nuetral to reverse. Thus the boat was stuck in forward when the pin fell out.<br /><br />The outdrive oil was milky. Where do I start with checking for possible leaks? The bellows looks fine. Do I need to pull it to make sure there aren't any tiny holes.<br /><br />On to the trim. I am assuming that I should be able to trim the outdrive as I'm cruising (above 5-10 mph). Would there be any points to check as to why it won't trim unless I'm below 10 mph?<br /><br />Thank you for your help!!

Don S

Originally posted by hope81:<br /> I beleive it is the 290. The information plate has been removed.
Till we find out what drive you have for sure it's hard to say. Are you leaking any fluid from the hydraulic trim rams?<br /><br />See if this chart will help you ID your unit.<br /><br /> Volvo Drive Chart

leibin81

Cadet

We are working with the 290 here. The head covers have a Volvo 260A Sticker on them. The operator's manual that I downloaded, and the chart you sent, all point to the 290.<br /><br />There is a serial number on the plate right at the top of the outdrive. Just on the other side of the screw/dipstick to put oil in the outdrive. Would that serial# help?