Clutch Dog Noise

JML1001

Recruit
Hi all, just joined the site and have already learned a lot.

Recently bought a used boat and have a question about the motor. It's a 1995 Mercury 115 2 stroke. When I decelerate I can hear, what I think, is my clutch dog ratcheting. Looking at other posts it seems like this is unusual. How loud should it be? Mine is very noticeable, you do not have to listen closely to hear it. With the boat off and in forward gear it ratchets when I turn clockwise and is solid ccw. The ratchet is quite loud, not a click, more like a clang. As I pull the control lever back towards neutral it goes from a clang to a click I'm guessing because there is less distance for the dog to ratchet before it hits forward gear. In neutral spins soundlessly.

To date I have adjusted the shift cable and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also dropped the gear oil and it looked fine. Some "fuzz" on the magnetic drain plug but no flakes. Motor doesn't jump out of gear either.

Is this sound normal for this motor?

Thanks

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Clutch Dog Noise

Not normal.Sounds like shifter going into nuetral too early.I would re adjust both cables at engine.Do a complete link n sinc.

JML1001

Recruit

Not normal.Sounds like shifter going into nuetral too early.I would re adjust both cables at engine.Do a complete link n sinc.

Thanks Aussie, by both cables you mean shift and throttle? I have played with the shift cable and at one point adjusted it so far forward that it was jumping out of reverse. No change in the sound. Link n sync refers to the carbs? New to boat motors but have had many dirtbikes, atv's etc. to play on.

Thanks

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

The ratcheting sound on decelleration is normal, especially if you like to suddenly chop the throttle. The engine slows down faster than the propshaft, as it is still being turned by the water passing over the blades.

go dart

Cadet

Im guessing you have a stainless steel prop on it. If you have an aluminum one put it on and splash the boat. You'll probably lose the clutch dog rattle and if you do you know its the added weight of the stainless prop.

JML1001

Recruit

Im guessing you have a stainless steel prop on it. If you have an aluminum one put it on and splash the boat. You'll probably lose the clutch dog rattle and if you do you know its the added weight of the stainless prop.

I have an aluminum prop but I get what you are saying about the extra weight. After doing a little more searching it sounds like for this era Mercury decided to deal with prop overrun with a ratcheting clutch dog while some other manufacturers used a change in timing etc to deal with it. Might be why I am getting conflicting ideas as to if this is normal or not. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I need to raise my motor, probably by two holes, as the cav. plate is under water when WOT.