How do i know if I have bottom paint on my hull?

khelhelou

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry for the stupid question but I was on my way to go buy a soda blaster off craigslist and just thought about the simple fact of what if i dont have any paint to strip. Anyway ill post pictures in a couple minutes and you guys I guess can let me know. But if someone reads this before i put up the pictures, what signs would the hull have to indicate that there is bottom paint or the absence of it?

khelhelou

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How do i know if I have bottom paint on my hull?

I live in Michigan, im going to trailer the boat around so it wont be in the water for more than a day or two and i dont care much about speed as long as i still get my 35mph. The boat is a 1988 Four Winns 245 Vista...
1. would antifouling paint be needed for my situation?
2.should I soda blast the stuff thats stuck on the bottom and would that be enough?
3.or do i have to use epoxy to repair it?

khelhelou

Petty Officer 3rd Class

also any idea what the thing at the corner of the boat is? Did the boat have damage there that was repaired?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You would probably be better off using 800 to 1000 grit sand paper. I think you have a gel coat bottom and you can probably rescue it. The spots that have filled should be further repaired with a gel coat repair kit. You can do that fairly cheap before you invest in a soda blaster.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the stuff adhered to your boat is organic and mineral growth. use snobowl or kaboom toilet cleaner first. it will work wonders on cleaning the stuff off the hull.

khelhelou

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the stuff adhered to your boat is organic and mineral growth. use snobowl or kaboom toilet cleaner first. it will work wonders on cleaning the stuff off the hull.

Thanks alot and there are a couple blisters on the transom area, what would be the best way to take care of those?

khelhelou

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You would probably be better off using 800 to 1000 grit sand paper. I think you have a gel coat bottom and you can probably rescue it. The spots that have filled should be further repaired with a gel coat repair kit. You can do that fairly cheap before you invest in a soda blaster.

I just bought the soda blaster with 50lb bag of whatever it takes for 45 bucks, its only a 14lb but im sure it would do the job just fine and are there any indications that i should look for that would tell me I have just a gel coat and no paint on top? There are a couple blisters on the transom area

Scott Danforth

Staff member

you have a gel coat bottom with some growth on it. the soda blaster would be my last resort.

if you have blisters on the transom further investigation is needed. did someone paint the transom, or do you have blisters in the gel?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

what signs would the hull have to indicate that there is bottom paint or the absence of it?

Wipe it with an acetone rag .. if paint comes off then its painted with something.

I would not take a soda blaster to it.

YD.

khelhelou

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ill take some pictures tomorrow morning and repost but are blisters in gel a bigger problem that blisters in paint if that is the case?

khelhelou

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wipe it with an acetone rag .. if paint comes off then its painted with something.

I would not take a soda blaster to it.

YD.

I was going to try this stuff the guy at west marine told me to use, i think it was called on/off something? but you think I should first try acetone? Also after i do get all this growth off, and i get it sanded real nice considering its just a gel coat, should i use a 1 part or 2 part primer?

Scott Danforth

Staff member

if its gel coat, just buff it.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I was going to try this stuff the guy at west marine told me to use, i think it was called on/off something? but you think I should first try acetone? Also after i do get all this growth off, and i get it sanded real nice considering its just a gel coat, should i use a 1 part or 2 part primer?

I was just saying use the acetone to see if its been painted or not ( acetone will not hurt Gelcoat ).

If you determine that its gelcoat on there then yes.. use the on/off stuff. Works great. ( wear protection as its an acid ).

Or..are you planning on painting it anyways ?

Its probably gelcoat though. You can repair them or dont worry about them for now.

YD.

khelhelou

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I really dont want to paint it...even though its going to be a trailer queen i dont care if its all nice and shiney as long as the hull is sound. From the pictures above you think it would be ok to just wait til spring to address the issues or should i take care of them before the winter...i think im going to use on/off regardless...