Johnson 115 on a Bayliner Capri 1600?

JLEWIS9950

Recruit
Is it appropriate to put a Johnson 115 outboard on a Bayliner Capri 1600? It is about 50 pounds heavier than the Force 85 that it originally came with. Also, where is the Hull ID plate on a Capri 1600?

Thanks!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson 115 on a Bayliner Capri 1600?

Before you do anything, make sure both are same shaft length. MANY Bayliners, with the Force, had 25 inch shafts, NOT more normal 20 inch..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

What is the maximum HP rating on that Bayliner??? I do believe it is 90 HP .

What year Bayliner is it?? They are not the best choice to push over the limits.

JLEWIS9950

Recruit

Appreciate the info on the outboard shaft length and the advice on the limits of the boat. It's a 1985 Capri. From what I have found on-line, it was rated for 90hp. But I've not been able to find the hull ID plate to confirm. Anyone know where this plate is found on this boat? I'm not sure if it's been removed or if it is well hidden. Thanks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

A 1985 Bayliner :eek: Absolutely do not do it! That was a very poor year for bayliner construction and it would really doom you.

It has nothing to do with weight but everything to do with safety. It has been my experience that I have never seen a 1985 bayliner in good shape stringers, transom, decking. They are very problematic. Yes the boat is only rated for a 90 HP look it up in the link in my signature.

If you get a great deal on a 115....... sell your boat and find another better constructed hull.

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class

also, keep in mind if you get stopped by the police or coast guard, they can possibly ticket you for exceeding the hp rating. would they actually ticket you for that, i have no idea. but something to consider.

Brewman61

Ensign

In regards to the police question, when we stop boats, we check for: One correct life jacket for each passenger and the throwable. If at power, children under 10 must be wearing their PFD. Working horn, passengers at or below capacity, fire extinguisher, valid tags. And all that comes after we address the reason for the stop- which is usually careless operation or blowing thru the no wake areas. Never do we worry about the HP of the boat vs what is stated on the plate. That's my department (Sheriff's Office), each one is likely different.

JLEWIS9950

Recruit

Much appreciate all the advice and input. This forum is a huge benefit to those of us who are new to the boating community. This input will absolutley factor into my decisions going forward. Thanks again.