tach issues 40 hp yamaha 4 stroke

goldwingrider67

Recruit
Hi,
First post ever...
I have a 40hp yamaha 4 stroke 2004 model that has a faria 7k needle tach that doesnt work at all. It lights up but the needle never moves at all. Just sits on zero... I have 12 volts to the tach and the gray signal line has 12 volt from it to ground when the key is on. I called faria and the tech said that is what it should have but im not sure he understood me. This is also dc on my meter and
the engine is not running, only key on" position. Ive read where it should be ac to the signal terminal but im not sure. Does anyone know for sure what pole setting to use on this tach? Its set for 12 right now. Ive had the boat out twice and havent notice any charging issues yet so im hoping everything is ok there. The ampmeter shows ok there. I just hate to put in a new tach and blow it if there is some other problem.Thanks for any and all help! Wallace

seamanship

Cadet
Re: tach issues 40 hp yamaha 4 stroke

Are you sure 12 is correct. Count the poles from a pic of your motor, can be downloaded from yamaha for free, and divide by 2 for your pole setting. Little hole in back to adjust needle to zero when key is on. Needle can be anyplace when key is off but zero adjust when key is on.